A photo of the event
TRANSCRIPT OF SOUVENIR PERTH OLD HOME WEEK BOOKLET
June 27th to July 4th, 1948
Transcribed by Vivian Dickinson
TRANSCRIBER’S NOTE: This booklet has been reformatted from the original in order to make it easier to read. All grammar and spelling has been maintained.
OLD HOME WEEK COMMITTEES:
HON. PRESIDENTS – Mrs. J.A. STEWART, Mrs. W.E. DANNER, George S. JAMES, G.H. ANSLEY.
HON. VICE-PRESIDENT – R.K. GEMMELL.
HON. COMMITTEE OF EX-MAYORS – F.W. BURCHELL, W. DOUGLASS, W.C. MCLAREN, G.C. TOWNSHEND, T.A. ROGERS K.C., J.T. CONWAY, and R.K. Gemmell.
HON. COMMITTEE OF OLDER RESIDENTS – George B. FARMER, B.H. WRIGHT, Mrs. J.A. Stewart, Mrs. James AMOUR, Richard CODE, Miss K. PHILIP, John NOONAN, John CROSKERY, Archibald M. CAMPBELL, Miss T. DWYRE, Mrs. G.T. MacMARTIN, James MITCHELL, The Misses NEILSON, James W. GAMBLE, Mrs. George FARRELL, John THORNTON, Miss Kathleen SHAW, Mrs. R.V. FOWLER, Joseph NIXON, Miss Lillian WADDELL and H.S. ROBERTSON.
PRESIDENT – T.A. Rogers, K.C.
VICE PRESIDENT – Mayor John PENNETT
SECRETARY – John H. MATHER
TREASURER – Norman MOORE
NAMES – Walter A. STEMP
FINANCE – E.M. SABISTON
ENTERTAINMENT – James. E. DUNCAN
DANCING – James R. WRIGHT
DECORATING – Wm. G. HOWIE
PUBLICITY – H.F. SHAW
PUBLIC RELATIONS – A.L. CODE
BANDS – Dave GREENLAW
TRANSPORTATION – Fred. W. Burchell
RECEPTION – Kenneth ERWIN
RACING – D.J. HOGAN
BILLETING – N.E. DODDS
SPORTS – Ronald WHITE
ATTRACTIONS – A.V. McLEAN
TOWNSHIP REEVES – Drummond, H.D. MATHER, Warden Lanark County; Bathurst, J. C. MATHER; Elmsley, C. MacTAVISH; N. Burgess, Urbin HAUGHIAN
PERTH TOWN COUNCIL
John Pennett, Mayor; Walter A. Stemp, Reeve; T. Vincent LALLY, Deputy Reeve; Councillors James Wright, Howard WALLACE, Kenneth Erwin, William WARREN, George FLEMMING, Fred HANNA.
LIBRARY BOARD, 1948
Chairman, T.C. SMITH; Secretary, G.C. Townshend; Mrs. F.C. Conway, Mrs. M.R. WILSON, Mayor John Pennett, G.S. James, D.C. FRASER, E.A. FLEMING, Jos. MULLINS; Librarians, Misses Flora MacLENNAN and Doris STONE.
BOARD OF EDUCATION 1948
Orville P. McLAREN, chairman; Dr. C.B. CHURCH, E.L. DAROU, J.L. HARRISON, E.M. DOULL, G.R. McLELLAN, A.W. MONNERY, A.V. McLean, W.E. HAMMOND, E.M. Sabiston, J.A. HOWIE, W.J. LYNN, and H.CHARBONNEAU. Frank V. BUFFAM is secretary and John H. Mather is treasurer.
MERCHANTS WHO WERE IN BUSINESS LAST OLD HOME WEEK AND ARE STILL HERE
Mary Morrison, Chaplin & Code, White and Findlay, Dodds & Erwin, Quattrocchi’s, James Bros., Levine’s, Lanark County Mutual Fire Insurance Company, Lambert’s Hotel, Jim Larocque, Girdwood’s, Hotel Perth, Shaw’s O’Donnell Bros., Revere Hotel, Perth Courier, Conway’s, Conlon Bros.
HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF PERTH
There is behind the Town of Perth a tradition that reaches back through the decades to 1815. At that time, Canada – or to be more correct, Upper and Lower Canada – was under the domain and flag of England but fifty odd years, and in that half century England had lost her American colonies, had passed through the French Revolution, the war of 1812 with the States and the return of Napoleon to Europe. England’s time in the fifty years was fully occupied with war, but with the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo and the close of the war between Canada and the States, English statesmen, in both the Colonial and War Departments, turned their attention to colonization, with the thought uppermost in mind of establishing strategic outposts that would form defence lines back from the waterways that separated Canada from the States. Thus, even before 1815, we have colonization schemes planned, and Perth was the chief centre. Perth settlement was an English Government enterprise, followed by settlements at Richmond and Lanark and the building of the Rideau Canal. Perth was a part of Quebec province, or Lower Canada, and it was not until January 1st 1823, that the Bathurst district was formed. The district to the South was known as Johnstown, with Brockville as the centre. SIR GEORGE PREVOST was the lieutenant-governor of Upper Canada. Many settlers came as far as Brockvile, then walked north about twelve miles and then west to Portland where they were transported on the Rideau to Oliver’s Ferry, coming thence to Perth. The route was outlined by CAPTAIN OTTY, who gave his name to Otty Lake. Three townships formed the basis of the Perth settlement in 1815 and 1816: Drummond, Bathurst and Beckwith.
The first minister here in Perth was REV. WM. BELL, who was pastor of the Perth Presbyterian Church in 1817 to 1857.
The settement at Richmond was founded in 1818, named after the Duke of Richmond.
Under the direction of LORD DALHOUSIE in 1820, the settlement of Lanark was undertaken. In 1823, the first large Irish immigration was located at Almonte, followed by the McNab idea in Renfrew County at Arnprior and the building of the Rideau canal. All these were mighty enterprises of over a century ago, with foundations laid deep in virgin forest and along unharnessed rivers that yielded year by year in the development of the country to the splendid area of Eastern Ontario – and more particularly in this instance to the County of Lanark.
It is established beyond a doubt that Perth was founded by some pioneer Scotchmen in 1815, and Scottish names were given to the area. This town was named after the city of Perth in Scotland, and it was natural the river on which the town stands took its name after the Scottish Tay. When the time came for a county designation, Lanark was chosen after a county familiar in Scotland’s history. The district of Bathurst was called after the EARL OF BATHURST, a colonial secretary in 1814 who was organizing colonization schemes for Upper Canada.
The district about Perth was favorably [sic] described by the pioneer Scotchmen to their friends in the home land, and in the month of May 1815, three transports, the ATLAS, BATISTE MERCHANT, and the DOROTHY sailed from Greenock with three ship loads of Scotchmen, their wives and children. They reached Quebec the middle of September, and too late to proceed to their future homes, they were quartered for the winter at Prescott and Brockville. In April, 1816, they were established on their lands around Perth on the 1st concession of Bathurst and the 10th of Burgess, which to this day is known as the Scotch Line. They were pioneers, a peaceful, thrifty and industrious people, who, year by year, through their own handiwork and almost unassisted, build independencies for themselves and their posterity. Their dominie was JOHN HOLLIDAY.
Then with the close of the war of 1812, the Glengarry Light Infantry Regiment of Fencibles, the Canadian Fencibles and the deWatteville regiments arrived in June 1816, locating in Perth. A town plot was laid out, the Tay was crossed and the sound of revelry was the hum of the axes in the primeval forest.
In 1816, the ships CANNING, DUKE OF BUCHINGHAMSHIRE and COMMERCE brought hundreds from both Ireland and Scotland, for settlement in Elmsley, Burgess, Drummond, Bathurst and Lanark.
Perth, however, may be called a strictly military settlement, as it was first peopled by half pay officers and discharged non-commissioned officers and men, when peace was declared btween England and the States and between England and Napoleon. Grants of land were made by the Government, captains receiving 800 acres of land, lieutenants 600, ensigns 400, non-commissioned officers in proportion to their rank, and privates 100 acres.
In 1816 CAPTAIN JOSHUA ADAMS, a veteran who served in the American War of 1812-13 in the Canadian Militia, was about the first to draw a town lot of an acre, and here erected a tavern thereon. Shortly after that soldiers began to pour in, and pending the taking up of their allotments, camped on the island in the Tay which was named after Sir Francis Cockburn, and is even today known officially as Cockburn’s island. The settlers were for the most part 49th regiment and foreign legion men, who, with their wives and families, were conveyed in the month of May, 1816, in wagons, from the various stations at which they were discharged, to Portland, twenty-eight miles north of Brockville, where they embarked in a scow owned by a man named LINDAYS, thence down the Rideau Lake and up the Tay River to Perth. Here was a Government store-house, under the charge of CAPT. FOWLER, CAPT. GREGG, having as a subaltern MR. DAVERN and MR. ALEX. MATHESON and SERGT. CAMPBELL, of the Glengarry Fencibles, as issuers of stores. The store house was on the southwest corner of the bridge at Gore Street, where Spalding and the Stewart’s distillery later stood for any years, and there on the 24th of each month, rations with necessary household and agricultural implements were issued to the settlers – males received per diem, one pound of pork and the same weight of flour – females half that amount, children of ten, one quarter rations. This arrangement was only to last until the settlers had got some land under cultivation, and were in some sort of postion to help themselves – at this time the settlers lived in the rudest of huts, roofed with bark and wooden boughs, and as winter came on most of them moved off to Brockville, Prescott and Montreal, and there remained until the following spring. However, the first year a quantity of potatoes were planted, and three bushels of seed fall wheat, obtained from the Government store, was also put into the grund. As the spring of 1817 opened, the settlers began to return, and clearing of land commenced in earnest. Many of the single men, however, got sick of a backwoods life, the work being too hard for them and they turned trappers or hunters, or else sought employment in the more settled parts of Canada, and the United States. The married men having the responsibiilty of wives and families to provide for, stuck manfully to the task before them and were not long in laying the foundation of a career of prosperity. The year of 1817 was, however, one of great hardship and privation, and the settlers were in great straits, in fact, on the verge of starvation. The crop of potatoes was destroyed by the frost, and the rust got into the wheat. Some families lived for three weeks on the wild leeks they found in the woods. An application was at last made to the Government for the issue of an additional half ration per head, which was granted, and the famine which was imminent was averted.
Timely assistance and a patient waiting for better times, tided the setters over their difficulties; the lane turned and the highway to Prosperity was soon reached; the clearings became larger, the dwellings began to assume some semblance of comfort, crops were better year by year, and each Spring saw fresh bands of settlers coming to Perth, and quite a large community was formed by degrees. While this was going on, the Capt. Adams before mentioned, gave up his tavern, and put up one of the first grist and saw mills on lot 20, in the 2nd concession of Bathurst, County of Lanark, and he soon began to derive a brisk trade. The first store was opened in 1816 by MR. (afterwards the Hon.) WM. MORRIS, father of LIEUTENANT-GOVERNER MORRIS, of Manitoba, the latter subsequently partner of MR. W.H. RADENHURST who was mayor of Perth in 1877. This store was on the south side of the river Tay, then unbridged, and there the town may be said to have started. A ferry was then used to ply across the river, and cattle, when moved from the north to the south side, and of course vice versa, had to swim the stream. The next store was established by BENJAMIN DELISLE, an ex-captain in the Canadian Fencibles, who came to the settlement in July or August 1816. His store was also on the south side of the Tay, near where St. James’ Anglican church is now. Mr. Delisle, after doing businesse [sic] there fore some years, removed to Montreal where he died. Others came in their turn, and the place began to be in some measure independent of other markets at a distance.
As the settlement grew, of course someone was wanted to look after their spiritual welfare and then came the first Protestant clergyman, in the person of Rev. William Bell, a Presbyterian minister. He had his church which has been burnt down, in the south-east portion of the town. He ministered faithfully to his flock for many years, and was highly esteemed by the members of all creeds as being a thoroughly good man. In 1820 came the REV. MICHAEL HARRIS, an Episcopal clergyman, and co-temporary with him was the REV. FATHER LAMOTHE, the first Roman Catholic priest. Then, of course, the physical ailments of the settlers had to be attended to and a disciple of Galen, a DR. THOM, formerly of the 41st regiment, came among the people. The gallant, and no doubt learned doctor, must have been a gentleman of a practical turn or mind, or else the place was unprofitably healthy that time hung heavily on his hands, and the piastres did not come in plenteously enough to please him, for he started a grist and saw mill on the site of the one later belonging to the late HON JOHN G. HAGGART, M.P. History does not go so far as to state whether the doctor had a lathe in his mill for the purpose of turning his own wooden legs, but probably that branch of industry was not sufficiently developed in Perth at that time to make it profitable; it is on record though that the saw mill and the compounding of physic agreed well together, and the doctor accumulated many shekels doubtless well earned. Before his advent, any small parcels of grain raised had to be ground in pepper mills, or boiled whole. About this time, too, the seed for the patches of ground cleared had to be carried on men’s backs from the settlement behind Brockville, and a good proportion of the provisions were taken into Perth in the same way.
In 1817 the first native of the town, Mr. JAMES BELL, was born. This gentleman’s father, who it will be remembered was the Presbyterian minister, used to tell of the difficulties to be contended with in a trip from Perth to Brockville, in these days; there was nothing but a foot rail, [sic] and that not particularly clearly defined either – scarcely a vestige of human life was to be seen, and the only marks of civilization were the few miserable cabins of some settlers near the bank of the Rideau River. The woods then abounded in wild animals many of which man was not desirous of forming any close acquaintance with. Bears, wolves, wolverines, wild cats, etc., deer, partridge, and other game were plentiful, but the prices given for the pelts scarcely paid for the means adopted for obtaining them, to say nothing of the trouble and risk; but notwithstanding this, several of the settlers then eked out their scanty livelihood by the sale or barter of the spoils of the chase.
A few years which were not remarkable for any event of importance passed over the heads of the settlers, who kept adding to their numbers – people of all classes, creeds and nationalities. Prominent among those who went out to seek their fortunes in the wilds were CAPT. MARSHALL, CAPT. McMULLEN, and CAPT. McKAY, all of the Canadian Fencibles, which has been embodied for service for several years previously: LIEUTS. WATSON, O’CONNOR and MONK MASON (afterwards recalled for service in the 24th regiment), BLAIR, of the Glengarry Fencibles; PLAYFAIR, and FRASER, the father of MR. JAS. FRASER, who was the deputy clerk of the Crown in Ottawa in 1877.
The first jail and court house was built of brick, on the south site of the river, in 1821 or 1822, probably its erection extended over a portion of both these years. The structure was afterwards burnt down, and the present one, a handsome free stone edifice, was put up in its stead.
The first death recorded in the annals of Perth was that of the wife of SERGT WALLESLEY RITCHIE, of the 89th regiment, in 1816, and her remains were interred in what is now the English cemetery on the south side of the Tay. Mortality does not seem to have been large until the year 1832, when the cholera was the cause of some deaths among the settlers.
The next band of emigrants to take up their residence in the Township of Lanark was a number of Paisley weavers. They all took up land and entered vigorously into farming pursuits. They were an industrious law-abiding folk, adapting themselves easily to their new mode of life, and were soon a large and important item in the list of colonists. Despite the hardships which, perhaps from the use of the loom and shuttle to that of the spade, axe and plough, they felt in keener degree than their fellow settlers, they rapidly acquired wealth and not a few of them left to their posterity handsome dependencies.
Fall wheat was first grown in large (for these times) quantities in 1823, and the succeeding years. The only outlet and market for it was Brockville, to which place it was taken by oxen teams, a rude road having by this date, been made, there being no horses in the settlement until about 1830, when MR. HENRY GLASS procured a team. The wheat sold in Brockville at three shillings and six-pence currency per bushel, and the settlers paid in kind, taking home supplies for their families – but a very small quantity of money being afloat in those days, in fact, until some of the veterans applied for, and obtained pensions from the British Government, the whole, or nearly the whole, trade was done on the barter system. The making of potash became quite an extensive branch of industry, and large quantities of it were shipped, both winter and summer, by ox teams to the Brockville market. For this article money was generally supposed to be paid, but the amout was nearly as a rule eaten up by the credits obtained by the farmers from the storekeepers, who, it would seem invariably got the best of the bargain, although the settlers tried to sail as close to the wind as possible. The trade in potash was an extremely brisk one until the lumber trade was opened in 1834 by ROGERS and THOMPSON, PORTER, and GEMMELL, ALEX. and HENRY MONTGOMERY, JAMES FLINTOFF and others. The lumbering operations in the immediate vicinity of Perth were of a most extensive character, and the settlers then saw to their sorrow the amount of valuable timber which had been burnt by them, when clearing their lots, and the thousands of dollars which had been literally thrown into the fire. However they were not the kind of people to indulge in vain regrets, and not a few of them went into the business themselves and carried it on for some years successfully and profitaably. The timber thus obtained was drawn to Brockville, there rafted, and went by the St. Lawrence river to Quebec; large quantities were floated down the Tay to the Rideau River, and thence to Ottawa en route also for Quebec. Staves and square oak for many years formed the staple of the trade. The business while it formed the important office of clearing the land, of course was the means of bringing large numbers of men into the town for by this time the settlement had grown to a size which entitled it to that designation, and stone houses following, the first one build by 1823, by JOHN FERGUSON, a Highlander, who delighted in the patronymic of Craigdarrich, which began to be erected on all sides. Perth then commenced to be a place of importance but previous to this, and as far back as 1824, before Carleton was made a county in itself, the Court of King’s Bench sat there twice a year, and all the law business of Bytown was transacted there. Perth was originally in the district of Johnstown, but was subsequently made into the district of Bathurst, which embraced that portion of the now County of Carleton north and west of the Rideau, and also what is now the County of Renfrew. When Bytown became Ottawa, Perth was shorn of much of its importance. The present Capital, with its more advantageous surroundings and facilities for carrying on a vast lumber business soon outstripped her elder sister with rapid strides. Meanwhile Perth was not idle, but in its own quiet but sure commercial method of carrying on trade, increased in solidity and wealth, each year witnessing the opening of extensive stores. A distillery established by HENRY GRAHAM, an ex-captain in the army during this period, formed an important item in the commerce of the place, and for years the town had one of the most perfect distillerie in the Dominion, that of MR. J.A. McLAREN, who manufactured Scotch whiskey equal to the best ever brewed in Scotland. This distillery was torn down a few years ago, passing out of business and today its old site is part of the John A. Stewart Park that has been given to the town by Mrs. Stewart. Most of the building was torn down several years ago and a garage and service station operated by MUNROE and FERRIER occupies the site of the old landmark. One of the early storekeepers was the late Hon. MALCOLM CAMERON who, when a boy in 1821, used to ferry passengers across the Mississippi River on the road to Lanark, and whose parents kept a public house or stopping place for settlers of that district close to the ferry. In after years Mr. Cameron kept a tavern and afterwards a general store at the corner of Gore and Foster streets. Subsequently he was in partnership with MR. H. GLASS, and carried on business on the present site of the Hotel Perth.
The construction of the Rideau Canal in 1825 did Perth an immense amount of good, openng as it did, a direct line of communication and means of conveyance with the River Ottawa. During the years the canal was being built trade was very brisk in the town, the large number of men employed on the work, being the means of causing a considerable amount of money being put into circulation. About this time, too, a private enterprise called the River Tay Navigation Company was formed for the purpose of deepening the channel and making it navigable to the Rideau River. Large sums were laid out by the Company, locks were constructed, and for a time a considerable amount of traffic by means of flat bottomed boats was carried on; but in time railroads took the trade away, and the locks on the building of which so much money had been expended, fell into decay and remained as monuments of a scheme which eventually did not turn out a profitable as its projectors anticipated until rebuild later. The company built a steamer called the Enterprise which was launched on the Tay right at the town in the year 1833. She, however, only made two trips and was then transferred to the Rideau Canal, on which she ran for many years. When she was broken up, her engines were put into one of the steamers built by MR. JASON GOULD for the navigation of the Muskrat Lake and river. Goods from Montreal at this time, consigned to Perth, were brought in barges up the Rideau canal via Ottawa, and then up the River Tay. This state of things continued until that stream began to fill up, and the locks got into bad repair and became useless, then part of the merchandise intended for the town was taken in via Oliver’s Ferry by teams. Then the Brockville and Ottawa Railroad was built and this effectually killed traffic on the Tay Canal, and the latter gradually fell into complete disuse. The business then was entirely of a mercantile character, but lumber of excellent quality was still being taken out of the northern and western portions of the neighboring country.
The population increased steadily for ten years after the Rideau Canal was finished, many of themen who had been employed on the work, settling in the town or its immediate vicinity. One instance of the progress of the place may be quoted, and it is in the establishment of the first newspaper which was called the Examiner and was edited by either WILLIAM TULLY or JOHN STEWART, who was also a schoolmaster. This was in 1825 or 1826. The Examiner afterwards merged with the Courier in 1834, when MR. JOHN CAMERON, brother of the late Hon. Malcolm Cameron, occupied the editorial chair. At his death, Mr. Malcolm Cameron succeeded him, from his hands it passed into those of MR. JAMES THOMPSON, Sheriff of Lanark for many years, who conducted it for a time. MR. CHAS. RICE, clerk of the County Court, bought it from Mr. Thompson and after running it successfully for some time, on his appointment to the office, he sold it to MR. G.L. WALKER, in 1863. In 1868, Mr. Walker took MR. J.M. Walker, into partnership. Mr. G.L. Walker died in 1874 and the Courier became the property of Messrs. J.M. and W.T. WALKER, under the name of the Walker Bros. Mr. W.T. Walker died in 1901 and the paper was carried on by J.M. until October 1st, 1901, when he sold it to his nephew, WALTER W. WALKER. In October 1934 the Courier was incorporated and known as the Perth Courier Publishing Company. Its provisional directors were Walter W. Walker, WESTON W. WALKER and THOS. VINCENT LALLY. In January 1936, the Courier purchased the Expositer Publishing Company, and Perth became a one newspaper town.
Prior to 1860 the Conservative Journal in Perth and Bathurst district was the Perth Observer, launched by the late RICHARD CAMPBELL, whose facile pen in the middle of the last century stirred the residents to the marrow bone. The British Standard was in existence at the time too. In 1860 the Perthe Expositor was launched by THOS. CAIRNS., who came here from Kingston. Mr. Cairns conducted the Expositor for a short time when he took into partnership THOS. SCOTT, later Col. Thos. Scott of Red River fame. After the appointment of Mr. Cairns to the position of Postmaster at Perth, the paper was conducted by Col. Scott for a short time, eventually being taken over by MESSRS. EDWARD ELLIOTT, afterwards Judge Elliot of London, Ont, and WM. BERFORD, both deceased.
In 1896 COL. A.J. MATHESON, became the proprietor and editor with CAPT. J.W. MOTHERWELL as publisher. Both these worthy newspaper men have also passed to the great beyond. In 1886 CHAS. F. STONE, fresh from Perth Collegiate, entered the Expositor as “printer’s devil,” and completed his apprenticeship in September, 1890, when he secured a position on the Deseronto Tribune, later on the Wiarton Echo and the Petrolia Advertiser. In 1893, on account of the illness of Capt. Montherwell, Mr. Stone was offered the position of publisher and accepted it in March of that year. Three years later, after Col. Matheson had received the endorsation of the electors of South Lanark to represent them in the Provincial Legislature, the control of the Expositor passed into the hands of Mr. Stone, who was its editor and proprietor until early in 1914, when he was appointed Collector of Inland Revenue. His son, the late HAROLD E. STONE, who was killed overseas, published it until December 1914, when the Expositor passed into the hands of Mr. John A. Stewart.
Perth appears to have been a sort of Elddorado for knights of the quill, so far as appointments have been concerned, or else the brethren must have possessed abilities of an extraordinary high order, and have been fortunate enough to have their merits appreciated and recognized in high quarters, and repaid rewards accordingly. Here’s a list: – Mr. J. Thompson, of the Courier as a Sheriff of Lanark; the late Hon. Malcolm Cameron, also a Courier man, made a Senator; Mr. Charles Rice, also a Courier man, Deputy Clerk of the Crown and Clerk of the County Court; Mr. Thomas Cairns, whilom <?> of the Expositor, a Postmaster of Perth; Mr. Thomas Scott, another Expositor man, he being martial in his tastes, was made a “Captain bold” of Red Riverites; and Mr. Richard Shaw, who held an appointment in the Inland Revenue. Then Mr. Stone was made collector of Inland Revenue in 1914.
On the green sward in front of the Court House are two brass field pieces (three-pounders). The little “barkers” were originally taken from the French by the Duke of York, in Flanders, and did service for the British in the American war, when they were retaken from the Americans by the British of Saratoga. They were retaken from the Americans by the British at the battle of Chrysler’s Farm, on the 11th of November, 1813. They were taken to Perth when peace was declared, and presented to the town, and for years were used for saluting purposes on high days and holidays.
With the end of World War 1 Perth received two German guns, which were placed at the Great War Memorial Hospital.
Perth was ever a town of churches and schools. The first clergyman of the Church of England who officiated in this town was the Rev. Michael Harris, M.A., Trinity College, Dublin. In 1836, St. James’ was constitued a rectory. In 1820, a frame church was built on the lot appropriated by the Government for the purpose in the original plan of the town. It was erected on the site where the present St. James’ Anglican church stands, and was opened for divine worship on the 16th of November, 1822. The original church was a plain wooden building about 50 feet long and 40 feet wide. The present church was opened for divine service on November 14th, 1861, with REV. R.L. STEPHENSON as a rector, who entered on his duties on Oct. 9th, 1857. It is Gothic in style, and built of thewhite free stone found in the vicinity of Perth, and cost $17,000 and the tasteful rectory, close to the church building, and finished in the seventies, cost $5,000. The structure consists of chancel, nave and two aisles, and a tower at the north-west corner of the building at an outlay of $5,000. The structure is 136 feet long and 66 feet wide. The nave is 110 feet long and 66 feet wide and the chancel is 34 feet deep. The interior is not disfigured by galleries and the wood work is pine, stained and varnished and of chaste pattern. One beauty about the building is that it was consecrated free of debt. Rev. Michael Harris, M.A., the first rector who ministered in the Perth is one of the old Canadian rectories. Since the days of the town for 33 years there have been the REV. A. PYNE, who remained only three years, who was followed by the Rev. R.L. Stephenson, M.A., a good and genial graduate of the “Silent Sister” Trinity College, Dublin. Then came REV. CANON MUCKLESTON, REV. D’ARCY CLAYTON, REV. DR. BEDFORD-JONES, REV. BRNET, REV. BANNILL and the present rector, REV. S.B. HOLMES.
The first authentic fact that is to be found in connection with Methodism in Perth is the record of a meeting at which the ways and means of supporting church purposes was discussed. In pioneer days, there was the chapel, which gave place in 1833 to a frame house, an unpretending building in the Gothic style of architecture, enlarged some ten years afterwards so as to accommodate 300 persons, and this latter was in turn replaced in 1884 by a handsome stone structure. There was attached to the church also, and opening into it, a lecture room, with class rooms and vestry, the whole costing exclusive of the organ, $11,500. REV. ARTHUR WILKINSON was the Pastor when the Methodist Church was united with Knox Presbyterian Church into the United Church of Canada.
In 1842 the first Baptist Church, a building 30 feet by 48 feet, plain, unpretentious and void of paint, was erected on the site of the present brick church on D’Arcy street, and REV. R.A. FIFE was the first minister. A year afterwards Mr. Fife was called to take charge of the Baptist College in Montreal and was succeeded in Perth by REV. JAMES COOPER. Succeeding ministers included REVS. PETER MCDONALD, A. PORTERFIELD, R. HAMILTON, J. CAMERON, M. ASHTON, T. HENDERSON, R. NOTT, W.C. CALDWELL, J. FORTH and J.H. THORNE.
The original church was eventually torn down to be succeeded bby the present church in 1889, with REV. DOUGLAS LAING as minister, who was followed by REVS. G.C. ROCK, G.R. BLUNDELL, J.P. MCLENNAN, W.M. WALKER, J.G. VANSLYKE, REV. JOHN GALLOWAY and REV. ARTHUR HOMER, the present minister.
Perth is the oldes Irish Catholic Mission in the Province of Ontario, having had its resident pastor as early as the year 1820. Its pastors from and including that date were in the order following: – FATHER LAMOTHE, from Quebec, during 1820, FATHER STEENEY, also from Quebec, during 1821 and ’22; FATHER JOHN MACDONALD, from 1823 to 12 of February, 1838, when he was replaced here by VICAR-GENERAL MCDONAGH, who administered the mission during the long term of 28 years. In 1847, Father McDonagh began preparations for the erection of a new parish church, and on Christmas Day, 1848, he celebrated the first mass within its walls. REV. DR. CHISHOLM was the next paster, his incumbency lasting from November 166 until May 1878. The mission was then served from Kingston, until June, 1879, when VERY REV. DEAN O’CONNOR was appointed thereto. During the incumbency of Dean O’Connor he managed, not only to wipe out a heavy debt he found hanging over the mission, but also to erect a magnificent spire. Succeding pastors were FATHER DUFFUS, FATHER DAVIS, REV. DEAN HOGAN, wo came here in 1904, following the death of Father Davis, and wo passed away in December 1930. He was succeeded by the present parish priest, Rev. Msgr, M. Meagher, with Rev. J.E. Trainor as curate.
The first settlers of the town and neighboring townships were chiefly of the Presbyterian faith, and consisted of emigrants from Lanark, Renfrew and Perth shires, Scotland. The year after the arrival of the first batch of settlers, the Home Government sent out Rev. Wm. Bell, M.A., who arrived June 24th, 1817, and undertook the ministerial oversight of the infant town and settlement. He laboured with abundant zal and success during a ministry of 1 years and died in 1857 at the age of 78. In 1828 steps were taken to form another Presbyterian Congregation in the town. The year following, through the assistance of REV. ALEX. STUART, of Douglas, Scotland, REV. THOMAS C. WILSON of the National Church was chosen for the congregation, ordained by the Presbytery of Lanark, and set out to Perth in 1831. The church was completed in 1832, names St. Andrew’s and opened for divine service. Mr. Wilson returned to Scotland in 1844 and in 1857 Mr. Bell’s congregation and St. Andrew’s were united and REV. DR. BAIN was minister for 36 years. In 1881, REV. DR. MALCOLM MACGILLIVRAY was inducted as minister of St. Andrew’s, who in 1888 was succeeded by REV. DR. A.H. SCOTT, who was succeeded by REV. DR. MCLEOD, REV. H.A. BERLIS, REV. C.G. BOYD and REV. R.B. MILROY, present minister.
The Free Church party in Scotland had friends in Perth during the Disruption conflict who were organizing into a congregation on the 13th of February, 1845, by REV. MR. BOYD of Prescott. Knox congregation built a frame church, which later gave way to the present edifice. The first settled minister was REV. ANDREW MELVILLE, who was called on the 29th December, 1845, and was or dained on the 26th of February, 1846. REV. JAMES B. DUNCAN was the next minister until 1866, succeeded by REV. WALTER M. ROGER who resigned in 1868, REV. WM. BURNS from 1869 to 1880; REV. JAMES ROSS, B.D., from 1881 to 1892; REV. DR. CURRIE from 1893 to 1914; afterwards, REV. W.M. GRANT, REV. JAMES H. MIERS, REV. M. C. MCKINNON and REV. W.R. ALP, the present minister.
Perth, in the eighties and nineties, gave evidence of its stability and boasted of a happy and prosperous community. These might be termed the carshop years of the town, when the C.P.R. operated works here to build freight cars. Times where blue when the shipes were closed in 1903 or ’04 but better times were ahead.
When the first reunion was held in 1905, the town had just voted $25,000 to bring the HENRY K. WOMPOLE CO. here, and in the decades that have gone we have made substantial industrial progress. We have today many thriving industries. We are splendidl equipped with modern conveniences in the way of granolithic walks, sewers, waterworks, electric lights and paved streets.
While Perth keeps up with the times and plays here part in all affairs, our population, while not increasing rapidly, is now moving close to the five thousand mark. We have equipment to maintain perhaps a population twice our present number, and perhaps some day we may realize those dreams, but in the meantime Perth moves surely, meets its obligations yearly and continues to be a real factor in Canadian life.
Perth people of today are proud of the town’s splendid history. We ever strive to live up to old traditions.
FIRST TRAIN TO PERTH
It is now over 89 years since the first railway train entered Perth, the event marking a very interesting railway development in Ontario’s history.
On February 7th, 1859, the first railway train to Perth from Brockville arrived in Perth. There was great excitement, although it was only a wood-burning locomotive with two small coaches. It took nine hours and 45 minutes to cover the distance which is less than 40 miles.
It was a thing of importance at that date and was welcomed as such by the citizens of Perth, who now look back upon that event only to realize the development which has snce taken plance in railways.
The thermometer registered 40 below, but this fact did not damage or ‘freeze’ the enthusiasm of the population which had assembled. It did, however, affect the progress of the train, for the extreme cold broke the couplings and the cars had to be linked to the locomotive with heavy cord.
A reception committee of Perth, with MAYOR JOHN DEACON, at its head, were in readiness for the arrival of the first train. Mayor John Deacon was afterwards well known as Judge Deacon.
PERTH TOWN HALL ERECTED IN 1863
Perth has a Town Hall, which although erected in 1863, at a cost of $12,000 is still considered one of the handsomest and most substantial municipal buildings in Eastern Ontario. It would probably take from $90,000 to $100,000 to duplicate it today . Build of the which or cream-colored freestone (Potsdam sandstone), which has been so extensively quarried on the outskirts of the town, this square two-story structure, with its cupola-shaped, copper-sheathed clock tower, seems to typify the solidity and permanence of the historic town of which it forms the hub. It might be interesting to note that its clock has faithfully furnished the time to our citizens since it was installted, through the instrumentality of the late MR. JAMES MORTON MILLAR, brother-in-law of the late HON. JOHN G. HAGGART, who was Mayor of Perth from 1873-74. Prior to the opening of the public hall, which occupies the entire upper story of this fine bulding, Perth had no adequate accomodation for theatrical performances, concerts, and large functions and gatherings of any sort. Up to that time, the comparatively small ‘Music Hall’ in the Farmer stone block on D’Arcy street, was the only auditorium available. Hoever, just as the new Town Hall eclipsed the once indespensable [sic] Music Hall, so now one of the most up-to-date theatres in this end of the Province has caused the former’s glory largely to depart, although it still serves very acceptably on many occasins. For instance, it is a very populare place for the holding of public dances.
The Town Council Chamber, the offices of the Town Clerk and Tax Collector, the Lock-up, Police Headquarters, accommodation for Perth’s famous band, the caretaker’s residence and in the portion of the building which served so long as the Perth Post Office, the office and workshop of the Perth Hydro Electric System, are all situated on the ground floor. Back of the Town Hall building, and at the entrance to the John A. Stewart Memorial Park (one of the most beautiful open spaces in any Ontario town, the gift of Mrs. J.A. Stewart) stands the finest and most substantial bandstand in Eastern Ontario. While, near by, is one of the most unique and perfect swimming pools in the Province. Situated, as it is, at the point where the swiftly-flowing Little River empties into the main Tay River, it is assured of absolutely pure water, while the concrete walls, platform, diving equipment and other improvements were made possible through the generosity of the late MISS CONSTANCE M. DAWES, who thus conferred one of the greatest and most appreciated boons on the youth of Perth-on-Tay.
HISTORY OF THE WORLD’S LARGEST CHEESE
In 1893 the Dominion of Canada “put across” the most effective bit of advertising in her annals. By that time it had been realized that if a consumptive demand could be created for the product of the many chees factories that had come into being in the previous few years the condition of the average farmer in the dairy counties on the Dominion would be enourmously improved.
So it was decided by the authorities at Ottawa that Canada should eshibit a cheese at the World’s Fair at Chicago that would occasion so much comment that Canadian cheese would be known the world over.
PROF. J.W. ROBERTSON, head of the experimental farm at Ottawa, commissioned MR. J.A. RODDICK to make this cheese at Perth. The cheese factory at Perth, then owned by the late Hon. A. J. Matheson, was being used as an experimental system at the time In charge of the cheese factory were two men who probably did more to build up the chees industry in Canada than any other in the land. These were Mr. RUDDICK, late dairy commissioner, Ottawa, and the late MR. GEORGE G. PUBLOW, at one time in charge of the dairy school at Kingston.
Mr. Ruddick, under the direction of Prof. Robertson, had charge of the manufacture of and the handling of the curd. The curd was made at the different factories in Perth district and after salting was put into the ordinary cheese presses, for a few minutes and then taken out, broken up and drawn to Perth where it was made into “the big cheese.”
It took three days to collect enough curd to make the monster. In all 207,200 pounds of milk were used, equal to one day’s product from 10,000 cows. It weighed 22,000 pounds, or eleven tons. As no ordinary truck could carry such a load an exceptionally strong truck was made by the late MR. MATTHEW STANLEY to convey the cheese from place to place.
The progress of the big cheese from Perth to Chicago was like the itinerary of some prince or potentate. The C.P.R. converyed the cheese on the “World’s Fair Cheese Train.” Circus posters were put up in all places en route to let the Canadian people see the monster. It was incased [sic] in a mould or boiler plate, was 6 feet high and 28 feet across. The weight was such that it was not considered advisable to put it on one flat car so reinforcements were laid across two cars. Great crownds were at the stations all along the line.
The “big cheese” became the sensation of the World’s Fair.
After the big fair was over the cheese was shipped to Liverpool for SIR THOMAS LIPTON.
An exact replica of the big cheese was constructed at the C.P.R. Station in Perth a few years ago and bears an historical inscription.
September – MRS. JANE LAURIE retired from business. Laurie’s Ginger Beer, in the stone bottles, was once one of Perth’s popular drinks. Mrs. Laurie passed away in a few months after retiring.
October – MR. AND MRS. J.T. CONWAY left Perth to reside in Toronto. Before leaving Mr. Conway was presented with a five-piece silver service and tray, while Mrs. Conway was presented with a rosary by the Cotholic [sic] Women’s League, at a social evening held by the parishioners of St. John’s Church. Later the Retail Merchant’ Association presented Mr. Conway with a leather steamer bag. [TRANSCRIBER’S NOTE: Mr. Conway was a former councilman and Mayor of Perth as well as being a Retail Merchant. His retail enterprises were sold off when he moved to Toronto. His brother Frank Conway retained Conway’s Mens and Boys Wear which, while no longer owned by a Conway, still does business in Perth today.]
Jan. 10 – MR. HENRY TAYLOR, former Police Magistrate of Perth, passed away.
Feb. – First steps in the construction of good permenent [sic]pavement were taken by town council. The Stnadard Paving Co. was given the contract for the work. During the years 1926, 27 and 1928, 8 miles of roads were laid at a cost of $1,000,000.
Apr. – MR. T.A. CODE celebrated 50 years in business.
Apr. 9 – Perth had worst flood in 40 years when the Tay canal overflowed its banks. Factory workers had to go to work in small boats and many cellaars [sic] were filled with water.
Apr. 14 – Late Saturday night the end in the old Spalding and Stewart distillery near the Gore St. bridge collapsed and fell into the river.
June 27 – St. John’s church spire was struck by lightning and the Perth fire brigade had a very difficult time to put out the fire in the 200 foot steeple.
July 4 – The corner stone of the new St. John’s separate school on Wilson St. E. was laid by His Grace the Most Rev. Archbisop SPRATT, D.D. of Kingston.
Aug. 26 – Blair & Sons put a new ambulance into service, being the first one in town.
Nov. 21 – The C.P.R. roundhouse near the station was destroyed by fire.
Dec. 31 – McLaren’s clothing store was closed for business.
February 25th – ARNOLD MCCULLOUGH opened a barber shop in the stand formerly occupied by WM H. MCINTYRE, Photographer.
April 15th – The first sod was turned on the erection of St. Andrew’s Prewbyterian church, on Drummond Street, and on July 28th, the corner stone was laid by Lieut-Governor W.D. ROSS.
Aug. 22nd – The Royal Bank moved into their new premises in the Code Block, from their former location in the Balderson Theatre Block.
September 23rd – The Government Liquor Store opened in the Code Block.
December 2nd – Work was started on the levelling of the grounds for the John A. Stewart Park, between the little river and the Armour premises.
December 16 – An outstanding citizen in the person of Mr. CHAS. J. FOY passed away.
March 11 – Just five years after St. Andrew’s Church was destroyed by fire the new edifice on Drummond Street was opened, with REV. DR. BUNYAN MCLEOD as Minister.
May 10 – The first “Stop” signs were erected in Perth.
May 13 – The DeHertel Block on Foster and Wilson Streets was badly damaged by fire.
June 2nd – Mrs. J.A. Steward was elected National President of the I.O.D.E. Mrs. Stewart was the first member, outside of Toronto, ever to hold this office.
June 22 – ORVILLE STEWART disposed of his barbering business, in O’DONNELL BROS. Tobacco store, to ALLAN MILLAR.
July 14 – The Dominion Government leased the former Asbury Methodist Church, to be used as an Armoury. Later the government purchased the property.
July 19 – JOHN L. SCOTT of Toronto, purchased an old established business “Hart’s Bookstore” from W.B. HART.
July 27 – P.E. GILBANK of Bowmanville, was appointed Principal of the Perth Public Schol [sic], to succeed MR. I. HAMMOND.
September 10 – G.H. HEADRICK purchased the plumbing and tinsmith business of D.J. MITCHELL, who retired.
Oct. 4 – Work was commenced on the demolition of the old Spalding & Stewart distillery on Gore Street, at the bridge, from the H.K. WAMPOLE CO., who used the building as a warehouse. The premises was purchased by the McColl Frontenac Company and a gas station was ereced [sic] on the site.
Nov. 7 – H.K. Wampole Co. commenced excavation work, on an extension to their factory, on Herriott Street. The building was of white brick, 60′ by 90′, two storeys high.
December 4 – JAMES A MALONEY, opened a law office in PERTH, in the building where Vice’s Bakery is now located.
Jan. 11 – REV. G.A. BRUNET, of Pakenham, arrived in Perth to become Rector of St. James’ Anglican Church, to succed [sic] REV. DR. BEDFORD-JONES.
March 28 – RICHARD MILLS of Toronto, was engaged as leader of the Perth Citizens’ Band.
July 4 – DR. E.C. CONSITT, prominent Perth physician died after a lengthy illness.
Aug. 30 – Messrs. DEHERTEL and O’HARA disposed of the Perth Creamery to MACK ROBERTSON and PETER MCNEVIN of Belleville, and the name changed to Land O’ Lanark Creameries.
Jan 4 – The A&P store opened a grocery store here at the corner of Foster and Wilson St.
Mar. 18 – MR. N.B. Nicoll puchased the Hicks House from MRS. W.J. GLASCOTT. The hotel later became known as Hotel Perth.
April 30 – The new nurses’ residence was officially opened the G.W.M. Hospital.
April 16 – The United Farmers’ Co-operative commenced business here with MR. D.J. HOGAN as Manager.
Aug. 23 – Perth’s new Swimming House was officially opened. The pool is considered one of the finest in Ontario.
Oct. 4 – R.A. Beamish Co. established the first in his chain of stores in the Meighen Block.
Nov. 10 – The first “talkie” picture was filmed in the Perth Theatre after the building underwent extensive improvements during the summer and fall months. “Whoopee”, starring Eddie Cantor, was the opening talkie.
Nov. 6 – The 100 Club was formed in Perth, with MR. FRANK HUTCHINSON, as the first President.
Dec. 16 – VERY REV. DEAN HOGAN, Pastor of St. John’s Church Perth, died after a lengthy illness.
Feb. 7 – REV. M.J. MEAGHER came to Perth to succeed the late Very Rev. Dean Hogan in St. John’s Church.
May 8 – A bridge was erected over the little river in the John A. Stewart Park, which adds greatly to the convenience of the citizens.
May 19 – MR. H.M. SHAW, Reeve of Perth and one of the town’s oldest business men passed away after a long period of illness. The late Mr. Shaw was a public spirited citizen and took a deep interest in everything pertaining to the welfare and progress of the community.
June 1 Work started on the erection of the bandstand at the rear of the town hall. It was officially opened before a large gathering of citizens by MAYOR J.H. DEVLIN.
June 17 – The construction of the new portion of the No. 15 Highway between Flannery’s Crossing and Moore’s Crossing, south of the C.P.R. was commenced.
October 9 – Te Sunnyside Apartments, corner of Gore and Harvey Streets were ready for occupancy.
Dec. – Alterations and improvements in the Perth Arena were completed including a new fence around the ice area, gallery enlarged and theatre seats added, new penalty box, timekeepers’ and press accomodation, hockey players and Ladies’ rooms enlarged and re-decorated.
March 26 – MR. T.B. CALDWELL, died at his home here, at the age of 76 years. He was one of Eastern Ontario’s outstanding business men, – actively interested in mining, lumbering and merchandising. He was president of the Perth Woollen Mills, which were established in 1919, and later sold to Tayside Textiles.
May 4 – A disastrous fire occurred which destroyed the barn owned by MRS. DAVID FERGUSON, partial destruction of a double frame residence on Harvey Street, owned by MISS MARY WALKER, and the roof of St. James Church, caught fire from flying embers. A large hole was burned through the roof and sparks caught on the organ which suffered considerable damage. The roof on St. James Parish House was also singed as well as a number of residences in the surrounding area. Fire fighting equipment was rushed from the several factories, while the Smiths Falls Fire Brigade responded to a call for aid.
June 14 – The Government dredge commenced cleaning the basin and canal out.
July 7 – After 20 years in the Photography business here, MR. J.H. ADAMS disposed of his store to MR. G.E. HOLLINGTON.
Aug. 25 – No. 7 Highway, from Perth to Toronto was officially opened by PREMIER HENRY of Ontario.
Oct. 3 – In the presence of a large assembly of people of Perth and surrounding district, the doors of Perth’s new Post Office were opened by MR. T.A. THOMPSON, M.P. for Lanark County.
May 2nd – The Famous English train, the Royal Scot, enroute to the World’s Fair at Chicago, stopped at Perth at 11.15 p.m. The platform at the C.P.R. Station was crowned with people anxious to get a glimpse at the Royal Scot.
May 6 – ARTHUR CAVERS, aged 10 years, rescued HARRY STAFFORD, aged 4 years, from drowning in the Little Tay River, near the Park. Later Arthur was presented with a parchment Certificate from the Royal Canadian Humane Society.
June 11 – JOHN H. ECHLIN of Perth, passed away suddenly. He was prominentlly [sic] identified with the Dairy industry as Dairy Inspector and Instructor of Lanark County and Instructor in Kingston Dairy School.
July 5 – HARVEY LOWE, long identified with the horse livery business passed away at his home here.
Aug. 1 – The C.N.R. telegraph office moved to its present location with the C.P.R. telegraph office, on Gore St.
Aug. 6 – ARMAND VINCENT’S Trans-Canada bicycle racers, some 40 in number, accompanied by ambulance and repair truck, officials, etc., arrived in Perth at 11.25, on the sixth lap of their pedal trip to Winnipeg, via Pembroke, North Bay, Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie. The riders included a former Perth boy, BERT SMITH.
Aug. 11 – MR. H.A. O’DONNELL, Barrister of Perth, was created a King’s Counsel.
Aug. 18 – The Perth Shoe Company erected a new warehouse at the rear of their plant.
Aug – MR. HUGH C. WILLSON took over the law practice of MR. C.V. FARMER.
Aug. 20 – MR. ALEX CAMERON, SR., Harvey Street, prominent liveryman passed away here.
Sept. 30 – MR. GEORGE ROGERS retires as Postmaster of the Perth Postoffice.
Sept. – The cribwork in basin was being replaced with new timbers.
Sept. – A new hardwood floor was laid in the Perth Arena covering a surface 175 ft. by 75 ft. It is to be used for roller skating and a dance floor.
Sept. 11 – COL. J.A. HOPE, K.C., D.S.O., M.C., V.D.,A.D.C., widely known soldier-lawyer of town, was elevated to the Ontario Supreme Court Bench to succeed the late MR. JUSTICE W.A. LOGIE of Toronto.
Oct. 23 – MR. T. ARTHUR THORNBURY purchased MR. W.S. ROBERTSON’s Drug Store. Mr. Thornbury remodelled his store in 1947 and now has one of the most modern drug stores in Eastern Ontario.
Nov. 3 – GOVERNOR-GENERAL EARL OF BESSBOROUGH and COUNTESS OF BESSBOROUGH were warmly welcomed in Perth, followed by a tour of Western Ontario. An address of welcome was read by MAYOR J. J. HANDS on behalf of the Town. Their Excellencies visited local manufacturing plants and the G.W.M. Hospital.
Feb. 19 – The ‘Maple Leaf Groceteria’, Perth’s first ‘Self Serving’ store opened on the corner of Peter and Foter Street. MR. BROCK BEAUMONT, late of Brockville, was the owner and operator.
Feb. 19 – MRS. MARY F. McINTYRE, mother of MRS. WALTER GEDDES, Dalhousie Lake, celebrated her 100th birthday.
March 18 – The Colonial Coach Lines, Ltd., of Ottawa, inaugurated a new bus service between Ottawa, Carleton Place, Perth and Smiths Falls.
April 13 – MR. FRANK W. WILSON, K.C., of Windsor, was appointed judge for Lanark County to succeed the late JUDGE J.H. SCOTT.
June 3 – MR. W.E. DANNER, President of the Henry K. Wampole Co., died at Kingston.
Aug. 3 – The Perth Courier, fifth oldest newspaper in Canada, celebrated its 100th anniversary. A 32 page edition was issued to commemorate the event.
Sept. 30 – Headquarters for No. 9 District of the Ontario Provincial Police was moved to Perth from Ottawa. INSPECTOR SIDNEY OLIVER was in charge of the office.
Oct. 7 – MR. F.A. LAMBERT, Proprietor of the Imperial Hotel passed away.
Nov. 9 – The Perth Courier, carried on under the name of the WALKER BROTHERS, was incorporated under the name of the Perth Courier Publishing Company of Perth, Limited. The provisional Directors were WALTER W. WALKER, WESTON W. WALKER and THOS. VINCENT LALLY, with W.W. Walker, as Managing Director.
Dec. 28 – According to the assessor’s roll, Perth’s population was 4,215, an increase of 158 over 1933.
Nov. – By a standing, unanimous vote at a public meeting of local citizens held in the Lodge rooms of the Orange Societies, a resolution was passed deeming the occasion fitting to conduct an Old Home Week or Old Boys’ and Girls’ Reunion in the Town of Perth, during the summer of 1935. Committees were named later, but the project was postponed to a later date. World War II followed a few years afterwards and plans for the reunion were held over.
Jan. 2 – Perth Theatre commenced featuring double pictures each night.
Jan – The Burgess ghost episode at the JOHN QUINN farmhome, was causing much excitement, when lids on the stove moved, flat irons came tumbling down the staires and stones were hurled through the windows. Large crowds visited the scene day and night to get a glimpse of the phenomena. Howere, the mystery was cleared up later, when it was found that the tricks were being played by two of the younger members of the family.
Jan. 20 – Cleanrite Cleaners opened the first dry-cleaning plant in Perth, by W.L. ROGERS and J. McHARDY of Toronto.
May 1 – MR. LES SMALLWOOD of Brockville, purchased the Perth Bottling Works from GEO. T. KERR.
April 27 – DR. A.W. DWYRE complted [sic] 50 years as a medical practitioner.
April 13 – Perth Museum was incorporated.
Feb. 14 – mr. T.j. farmer OF Perth, passed away suddenly from a heart attack, while on a holiday cruise to the West Indies and Panima [sic].
May 1 – The C.P.R. inaugurated a pick-up and delivery service in Perth.
June 17 – The W.L. McKINNON Co. of Toronto took over the Bond office of the late T.J. Farmer.
June 22 – MR. WM. STRONG, of Perth, purchased the Pink Factory, on Victoria Street, and the building was later demolished.
July 16 – DR. C.B. CHURCH, Physician and Surgeon opened his office in Perth.
Aug. 16 – MR. G.R. DULMAGE, a graduate of Trinity College School, Port Hope and Queen’s University, Kingston, has enetered the law office in Perth, of MR. H.A. O’DONNELL, K.C.
Sept. 13 – Perth won the S. Lawrence Baseball League, after defeating Renfrew 1 to 0, in the latter Town. Battery for Perth was NORM. HIBBS and EMIL GRAFF.
Sept. – DR. J.A. KIDD, Physician and Surgeon, opened an office in Perth, on Drummond Street.
Oct. 11 – The spires were removed from the Perth Armouries, the former Asbury Methodist Church.
Oct. 15 – MR. PERCH SPALDING was appointed Postmaster of Perth, to succeed G.W. ROGERS.
Nov. 8 – Perth was shaken by a severe earthquake. The tremor lasted over a minute.
Nov. 16 – MRS. A.J. SIDDALL opened a novelty shop, known as “Yarncraft” in the Hotel Perth Block.
Dec. 23 – The Lanark County Farmers’ Mutual Fire Insurance Company moved their offices to their new quarters in the former A.H. McLAREN building, on Wilson Street, which they purchased a short time ago.
Dec. 25 – JUDGE J.H. SCOTT passed away suddenly in Perth.
Jan. 15 – The Perth Courier Publishing Company purchased the Perth Expositor Plant, and Perth became a one-newspaper town.
Mar. 8 – MRS. ALVIN McINNES and four of her children were burned to death when fire destroyed their home in Dalhousie Township.
May 1 – MR. THOMAS CODE, President and Founder of The Code Felt & Knitting Co., completed 60 years in business in Perth.
April 17 – MR. MERVYN CHAPLIN, of the firm of Code & Chaplin passed away after a lengthy illness.
May 1 – The Bank of Nova Scotia had been established 30 years in Perth.
May 15 – TOM MARKS, once famous comedian and showman, passed away at his home at Christie Lake.
June – In a report of the Bureau of Statistics, after a survey of manufacturing centres of Ontario, Perth was the most important manufacturing centre in Lanark County.
Sept. 11 – C.M. FORBES was appointed Registrar of Deeds for the Registry Division of North and South Lanark in the place of JAMES ARMOUR, deceased.
Oct. 4 – Sever injuries she had received when struck by an automobile on Gore Street bridge, resulted in the death of MISS JEAN A. DRYSDALE, of the C.P.R. & C.N.R. Telegraph’s office.
Oct. 18 – Glad Tidings New Tabernacle opened for services with ROBERT BURGESS as Pastor.
Nov. 7 – DAVID McLEAN, prominent well known ex-farmer and cattle buyer died.
Nov. 14 – St. James’ Anglican Church celebrated its 75th Anniversary. REV. GILBERT A. BRUNET was Pastor.
Jan. 1 – MISS NETTIE BURKE was appointed Chief Operator of the Perth Telephone Exchange, to succeed MISS MARY O’DONNELL, who retired.
Jan. 17 – GEO. T. KERR, who had a distinguished military career, passed away after an extended illness.
April 24 – MR. T.A. POOLE, Lanark County Warden and Deputy Reeve of Perth, died at the age of 76.
May 7 – Night Patrol JAMES J. KANE died suddenly while on duty.
June 29 – MR. T.A. CODE, Founder of Perth’s Oldest Industry, The Code Felt & Knitting Co. died in his 84th year.
Sept. 8 – MR. E.L. DANNER presented the Perth Board of Education with the land adjoining the Collegiate Institute, known as the former Pink property.
Oct. 20 – The Perth Museum was officially opened by his Honor DR. HERBERT BRUCE, Lieut.-Governor of Ontario. MR. ARCHIBALD M. CAMPBELL is the Curator. The Museum ranks as one of the finest in Canada.
Nov. – The Denning Fence Co. began operations manufacturing snow fence, in the old Bolt Factory.
Jan. 14 – It was announced by the Hospital Board of Directors, that MRS. W.E. DANNER would erect a new wing to the G.W.M. Hospital.
Jan. 18 – DR. L. THOMPSON died suddenly from a heart attack.
Jan. 19 – MISS HATTIE NICOLL, who has been Librarian for 30 years, at the Perth Public Library retired.
Feb. 20 – GEORGE BOND, Grand Old Man of Lanark, passed away in his 100th year.
March 10 – CHARLES F. STONE, well known newspaper man and former editor of the Expositor died following a lengthy illness. Mr. Stone was Secretary of the Old Bays’ [sic] Reunions of 1905 and 1925.
March – Perth Blue Wings Hockey team brought honor to the town when they won the Citizen Shield for the second time and afterwards defeated Verdun and Halifax in the Memorial Cup playoffs. They were eliminated by the strong Oshawa Generals for the Eastern Ontario finals in two straight games.
April 15 – W.L. McKEE was appointed tax collector and assessor.
April 17 – Ground work stared [sic] on the new Danner Pavilion at the G.W.M. Hospital
May – the ANDREW JERGENS Co. completed their new office building. R.H. GAMBLE, local contractor was in charge of building operations. Inside and out the building is modern in every respect and considerably improves the appearance of the plant. An extra story was also added to the building which gives considerably more floor space.
July 8 – Perth Citizens’ Band won two trophies in a contest with leading Eastern Ontario Bands, held at Tweed’s Old Home Week.
Oct. 18 – JAMES MURRAY WALKER, Editor and Publisher of the Courier from 1874 to 1901, and a journalist of wide repute, died in Toronto at the age of 93 years.
Dec. – MR. FRANK VICE opened a new bakery on Gore Street, near the Litter River bridge. In 1947 new modern oil heated ovens were installed.
Jan. 3 – The W.E. Danner, Memorial Pavilion of the G.W.M. Hospital was opened on Tuesday, by their Excellencies, LORD AND LADY TWEEDSMUIR. The new wing was erected at a cost of $50,00, and increased the capacity of the Hospital by 27 beds. A plaque was unveiled bearing the following inscription: – “Perpetuating The Memory of the Late W.E. Danner Esq. This addition to the G.W.M. Hospital has been erected by Mrs. W.E. Danner, ELSIE DANNNER THORNE and E. LESLIE DANNER, 1939.”
April 28 – DR. A.W. DWYRE, passed away after 54 years as a medical practitioner.
May 17 – A large contingent of Perth citizens went by special train to Ottawa to see Their Majesties, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth. A Civic Holiday was proclaimed that day in Perth.
June – Perth Lawn Bowling Club opened their new greens, next to the Court House property.
June 6 – Work was commenced on the extension to the Hotel Perth.
Sept. 6 – The work of erecting the new water tank on Harvey Street was started which will cost $25,000. The tank will be 150 ft. hight and will be the first of this particular design in Canada. It will have a capacity of 208,000 gallons.
Sept. 18 – WESTON WALTER WALKER, Vice-President of The Courier Publishing Company died in Kingston.
Dec. 2 – Blair & Son opened their new Funeral Home and Chapel, one of the most outstanding in Ontario.
Dec. 2nd – Shaw’s Store celebrated their 80th anniversary.
Feb. 16 – Perth Corporation received a new pumper truck which pumps 600 gallons per minute. The cost was $9,505.
April 4 – The G.W.M. Hospital was given an iron lung, from LORD MUFFIELD of England.
June 27 – REV. W.R. ALP was inducted into St. Paul’s United Church.
Dec. 30 – The Henry K. Wampole Co. celebrated its 35th anniversary.
April 1 – MRS. P.J. KEHOE sold the Hotel Revere to MR. J.H. ALLAN of Kemptville.
July 12 – MR. C.A. CAMPBELL, Vice President and General Manager of the H.K. Wampole Co. died suddenly at his summer home, Rideau Lake.
July 24 – MR. C.W. URQUHART was appointed General Manager of the Henry K. Wampole Co.
Sept. 13 – McLaren’s Bakery closed after 66 years of business.
Oct – A large extension was erected to the Meighen Block, on Gore Street where the Beamish Store is located.
Nov. 5 – A saw mill was erected outside the town limits, on the Lanark Road, which was operated by VAL. WEILER & SONS, and later sold to J. STANTON, its present owner.
May – MR. JAMES BARR purchased the Drennan Block. At present it is occupied by Stedman’s store and the Perth Shoe Co. Club Rooms.
May 10 – REV. FATHER MEAGHER was investitured as Monsignor, by his Grace ARCHBISHOP O’BRIEN of Kingston.
June 29 – JOHN MATHER was appointed Treasurer for the Town.
May 19 – 12 persons were injured, none seriously, when a freight train crashed into a stationery passenger train at Glen Tay. Eight cars were derailed on the freight train and 18 head of cattle killed.
Sept. 1 – Perth and district residents were issued their first Ration Books.
Sept. – The Unemployment Insurance Office was opened in Perth with MR. R.W.R. HUGHES as Manager, and MISS M.M. BYRNE as Clerk.
Oct. 31 – MR. WALTER W. WALKER, Publisher of the Perth Courier for 40 years, and President and Managing Director of the Perth Courier Publishing Company, who was well and favorably known in newspaper circles, passed away after several months’ illness.
April – The fire siren was erected on the Town Hall building. This will do away with the old fire alarm.
May 1 – MR. S.R. SALISBURY of Belleville purchased the Revere Hotel from MR. J.H. ALLAN.
May 3 – JOSEPH H. EBBS, former Sheriff of Lanark County died.
May 16 – REV. SIDNEY BAKER HOLMES, formerly Rector of Huntley and Carp, has been appointed Rector of St. James’ Parish, Perth, and St. Augustines, Drummond.
Sept. 14 – O’Donnell Bros. Warehouse was destroyed by fire with an estimated loss of $50,000.
Oct. 23 – the unveiling of the memorial celebrating the 50th anniversary of the making at Perth, of the world’s largest cheese was carried out before a large gathering. The unveiling ceremony was performed by DR. J.A. RUDDICK, aged 80 years, who supervised the making of the famous originl. The memorial which is situated at the C.P.R. Station is a cement replica of the original cheese, measuring 28 feet in circumference and 6 feet high. The chees weighed 22,000 lbs.
April 26 – EDWARD YOUNG, Town Clerk, was killed by an automobile, while crossing Gore Street, near Harvey Street.
May 1 – MR. HAROLD DUBY of Brockville, buys the Hotel Perth, from the N.B. NICOLL Estate.
July 8 – A large number of Perth citizens visited the H.M.C.S. Lanark, at Victoria Pier, Montreal, when they were tendered a reception by the ship’s officers.
Sept. 15 – C.E. SMITH was appointed Chief of Police of Perth to succeed CHARLES DONOVAN, who retired after 12 years as Chief.
Dec. 7 – JOHN H. HARDY, Principal of the Perth Collegiate for the past 23 years, resigned to take a position on the staff of the College of Education, Toronto.
Jan. 9 – FRED FORSYTH, Lanark County Agricultural Representative, passed away suddenly at the curling rink.
Jan. 20 – T.ARTHUR ROGERS of Perth was appointed King’s Counsel.
May 16 – M.L. LAPOINT, well known in the business life of Perth died suddenly.
June 30 – FRED A. ROBERTSON, retired as Manager of the Bank of Montreal for the past 25 years.
Oct. 22 – The town garbage collection was inaugurated.
April 19 – DR. J.J. MCCANN, M.P. for Renfrew and a native of Perth, was appointed Minister of War Services in ominion [sic] Government. In August he was named Minister of Nation Revenue.
Nov. – Esmond Mills, Ltd, blanket manufacturers, with head office in New York, have secured a permit for the erection of a plant at a cost of $150,000. The mill will be located on North Street and will house 72 modern looms.
Dec. 18 – St. John’s R.C. Church was re-opened after being completely renovated at a cost of $35,000. The church which, was erected in 1848, and was completed and consecrated on August 15th, 1849 by BISHOP PHALEN.
Dec. 18 – The celebration of the 50th Anniversary to the Priesthood of REVEREND MICHAEL J. MEAGHER, D.P, V.F., Pastor of St. John’s Church, was fittingly marked.
Dec. 28 – Perth Town Council decided that members of Council will be paid for their services. Each Councillor will receive $5.00 per meeting which he attends, while the Mayor will receive $15.00
PAGE 57 (Shown as page 37) COUNTY COUNCIL – 1948
Warden, H.D. MATHER, Drummond; Townships of, Bathurst, J.C. MATHER; Beckwith, ADAM W. JONES; Burgess, URBIN E. HAUGHIAN; Dalhousie & N. Sherbrooke, LORNE GEMMIL; Darling, WM. G. CRAIG; North Elmsley, CAMERON MACTAVISH; Lanark, LORNE STEWART; Lavant, ARTHUR J. CROSBIE; Montague, R.F. MCCREARY; Ramsay D.W. STEWART; South Sherbrooke, J.N. RITCHIE; Pakenham T.A. WILSON; Towns of Almonte, ARTHUR SMITH; Carleeton Place [sic], W.A. ROE, Reeve; ARNOLD WEEDMARK, Deputy Reeve; Perth, WALTER STEMP, Reeve; T.V. LALLY Deputy Reeve, Villag [sic] of Lanark, OSWALD E. ROTHWELL.
March 18 – MR. ALFRED BOWES, Secretary and Manager of Lanark County Farmers’ Mutual Fire Insurance Company was elected President of the Mutual Fire Underwriter’s Association of Ontario, in Toronto.
May 15 – After being 38 years in business, P.W. CLEMENT disposed of his Planning Mill to his son, WILLIAM and R.A. MCLENNAGHAN who formed a partnership and the business in now knows as the Perth Planing Mill.
May 16 – Colonial Coach Lines started a bus service to Toronto and points west, along No. 7 Highway through Perth.
June 8 – Work was started on the erection of the Esmond Mills.
July 20 – MAYOR F.W. BURCHELL headed a delegation to Toronto in an effort to get wartime houses for Perth.
Aug. 1 – MISS G. PATTERSON was appointed superintendent of the G.W.M. Hospital
Aug. 16 – Work was commenced in the tearing down of the building at the corner of Wilson and Peter streets for the erection of a modern garage and service station by J.A. PERKINS & Son.
Aug. 23 – MESSERS RICHARD MILLS and WILFRED HORROBIN purchased the Maloney Block on Gore Street.
Aug. 4 – The New Quattrocchi Block was commenced. While dismantling the former building, which was the F.W. Hall home, workmen removed timbers which were 115 years old. On one timber the following was cut with a knife “G.E., 1831”.
Oct. 4 – MR. VINCENT HAUGHIAN purchased the Brook’s prperty, corner of Gore and Herriot Street. The lower floors are occupied my [sic] FRANK CONWAY’S men’s wear store and CORBETT FARRELL’S radio shop. At present the second floor is being converted into office space and one apartment.
Nov. 12 – WILLIAM E. WRIGHT retires as a bandsman after 54 years.
Dec. 18 – MR. JOHN F. WITHROW, of Timmins, joined the Courier, as Managing Editor.
Jan. 8 – The Rotary Club was formed in Perth and received its Charter. MR. G.L. SMALLWOOD was the first President.
Feb. 3 – The John A. Stewart Park was presented to the town by Mrs. J.A. Stewart, in memory of her husband, the late John A. Steward, former M.P. for Lanark County and Minister of Railways and Canals in the Meighen Cabinet.
April 5 – The Old Matheson Residence, which afterwards was known as Vanity Fair, was purchased by the local verterans for a hall,
May 17 – The New Rideau Ferry Inn was opened by MR. D.A. WALLACE of Osgoode, Ont.
June 15 – MISS MARY WALKER, retired Public School teacher, having been on the staff for 45 years, died.
July – The erection of the first house in the Jamesvill new residential section, situated on Wilson Street, near the C.P.R. tracks, which was owned by MR. GEORGE JAMES. There are twenty-one building lots in the sub-division and when all houses are competed, and streets and sidewalks constructed, this will be the most modern section in town. At present three housed are completed and occupied, with another under construction.
Sept. – A new Bowling Alley was opened in the J.A. Perkin’s building, corner of Wilson and Foster Streets.
Fire Chief JAMES W. CAMBLE resigned his position after 56 years. A member of the fire brigage, 37 years of which he served as Fire Chief. W.G. HOWIE succeeed [sic] his [sic] as Chief.
October – Two homes were under construction on the Jamesville Property on Wilson Street.
Nov. 21 – Perth Theatre Block was purchased by Theatre Holding Corporation of Toronto from Mrs. J.A. Stewart.
Dec. 1 – The Teen and Twenty Club was formed in Perth and a slate of officers electeed [sic].
Dec. 6 – Mrs. John. A. Stewart made a gift of her property on Wilson Street to the Board of Education, to be used as a site for a new Public School.
January – The first of the new wartime houses were ready for occupancy.
Jan. 19 – The old Haggart Grist Mill, which was occupied by the Millard Electric Works was destroyedby [sic] fire.
March 31 – The Frontenac Paper Box Factory, on Wilson Street was gutted by fire.
April 4 – Roller Skate Hockey was introduced in Eastern Ontario, when a game was played in the Perth Areana [sic] between teams from Perth and Smiths Falls.
May 13 – HOWARD NOONAN, opened his new store on Gore Street, the former Graham property. He added a line of groceries to his meat business.
May – H.C. Buffam, gracer [sic?] moved into his new place of business, next Revere Hotel, on Foster Street. Extensive improvement in the interior and exterior were made to the building., which now has a larger floor space.
Three new garages were completed since the first of the year, by MR. WOOLAMS, on Craig Street; ROBERT CRAIG, on North Street and GEORGE MCTAVISH on Wilson Street, W.
SUNDAY, JUNE 27th, 1948
A.M. – Special welcoming church services in all churches, regular hours
2 p.m. – Easter Ontario Canadian Legion parade and Drumhead Services with visiting bands, at Stewart Park.
8:30 p.m. – Community singing and band concert, Stewart Park.
MONDAY, JUNE 28th, 1948
7:45 a.m. – All bells, whistles, etc., will ring or blow. Old Home Week starts.
10:00 a.m. – Registration and billeting.
10:00 a.m. – Address of Welcome by Mayor John Pennett. Official opening, band stand.
10:45 a.m. – Novelty, get acquainted parade.
2:00 p.m. – For visiting factories ( passes obtained from secretary), visiting stores, museum, golf club
Bowling Green club.
5:05 p.m. – Community singing and novelty acts. An hour of fun, Legion platform Gore St.
7:00 p.m. – Fast softball, P.C.I. grounds.
8:30 p.m. – Roller skating display, Perth Arena.
9:30 p.m. – Street Dancing.
TUESDAY, JUNE 29th, 1948
10:00 a.m. – Registration and billeting.
10:00 a.m. – Mayor welcomes new arrivals.
10:30 a.m. – County baseball tournament, 1st game, see hand bills. Horse shoe tournament, fair grounds. Visiting manufacturing plants.
11:00 a.m. – Old time street frolic.
1:30 p.m. – Welcome to Warden and County Officials and visitors, fair grounds.
2:00 p.m. – 2nd game baseball tournament.
BIG NOVELTY SPORTS PROGRAM
Reeve’s Race, wheelbarrow race, egg race, log sawing, horseback race, hog calling, etc. There’s goint to a lot of fun. [sic]
4:30 p.m. – Final baseball game.
5:30 p.m. – Strawberry Festival, by Junior Farmers’, plus special program at 8:30, John Haggart Park.
7:00 p.m. – County council banquet.
8:30 p.m. – Junior Farmers’ Special Concert, John Haggart Park
8:30 p.m. – Box lacrosse, Perth Arena.
9:30 p.m. – Dancing, armouries, also street dancing.
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 30th, 1948
Smiths Falls, Carleton Place, Almonte, Lanark Village Day
10:00 a.m. – Welcome reception, band stand.
10:00 a.m. – registration and billeting.
10:00 a.m. – Back to School, “Old Boys” Classes”, Public School and Separate School. Come and dress the way you “Use-Tu”. Swimming Meet, Town Pool, Visiting Factories, Horse Shoe Tournament, P.P.S. grounds.
11:30 a.m. – Band concert on street.
12:00 a.m. – Old Boys’ Luncheon, Arena. Special program. Take our advice and don’t miss this event.
1:30 p.m. – Parade arrives from neighboring towns and continues to fair grounds, also children’s bicycle parage. 5c rides for children at Midway on Wednesday.
1:45 p.m. – Perth welcomes visiting towns.
2:00 p.m. – Horse shoe pitching at fair grounds.
2:00 p.m. – Baseball, band concert, dancing and sports of all kinds.
5:00 p.m. – Special street attraction, barber shop quartette, clowns, dancing, etc.
6:30 p.m. – Montreal Canadiens (Hockey) softball team vs Perth All Stars.
8:30 p.m. – Perth Theatre, Irish Play, St. John’s Literary Society.
9:30 p.m. – Dancing, street and armouries.
10:30 p.m. – Night shirt parade.
THURSDAY, JULY 1st, 1948
10:00 a.m. – Registration and billeting at town hall.
10:00 a.m. – Special welcome at band stand. Address to new visitors.
10:00 a.m. – Big one-hour street fun frolic.
10:30 a.m. – Opening game softball tournament, P.C.I. grounds.
12:45 p.m. – Monster parade, bands, floats, clowns and funny jesters to fair grounds.
2:00 p.m. – Horse shoe pitching at fair grounds.
2:30 p.m. – Horse racing (pari-mutuel machines), 3 classes, 2.30, 2.24, 2.17.
3:00 p.m. – 2nd game softball tournament.
5:30 p.m. – Special street fun frolic, barber shop quartette, clowns, dancing sing song, etc.
6:30 p.m. – Softball finals, PCI grounds.
8:30 p.m. – Variety vaudeville show in front of grand stand.
9:30 p.m. – Dancing, arena, street dancing.
FRIDAY, JULY 2nd, 1948
TORONTO, OTTAWA AND MONTREAL DAY
10:00 a.m. – Registration, billeting.
10:00 a.m. – Special welcoming reception, band stand.
10:00 a.m. – Aquatic sports, basin.
11:30 a.m. – Street frolic, more fun than yesterday.
1:30 p.m. – Toronto and Ottawa boys parade you to the grounds.
2:30 p.m. – Horse Shoe pitching, fair grounds.
2:30 p.m. – Sports (This is going to be different). Montreal says “Look out, Toronto and Ottawa”.
3:30 p.m. – Grand stand performance. Toronto-Ottawa sponsored show.
5:30 p.m. – Street frolic, “Look out for this”. The two cities are going All Out on our main drag.
7:30 p.m. – Softball game, P.C.I. Old time brides’ parade 1800 to 1948, town hall.
9:30 p.m. – Sensational fancy dress “Mardi-Gras”. Dance special main street, also dance in town hall.
TRANSCRIBER’S NOTE: One of my grandparents wrote ‘Grand Parade’ opposite this date in the booklet. It may be a reference to the 1:30 p.m. event.
SATURDAY, JULY 3rd, 1948
UNITED STAES VISITORS’ DAY
10:00 a.m. – Registration and billeting.
10:00 a.m. – Special good neighbors welcome. Special address by noted Americal visitor to be announced later.
11:00 a.m. – Street frolic. Our American friends have some good talent.
1:15 p.m. – Parade. Our American friends parade to grounds.
1:45 p.m. – Racing (pari-mutuel machines).
2:30 p.m. – Horse shoe pitching finals, fair grounds.
2:30 p.m. – Casting competition and many other attractions.
2:30 pm. – Racing.
3:30 p.m. – Softball (the Americans having fun).
4:00 p.m. – Racing, 3 classes, 2.27, 2.20 and free-for-all.
4:30 p.m. – Novelty program, talent show, fair grounds.
5:30 p.m. – Street frolic, everybody having fun.
7:30 p.m. – Amateur show, Perth Arena. Softball and Novelties, P.C.I. gournds. Midway at fair grounds.
9:00 p.m. – Dancing, two big novelty street dances.
SUNDAY, JULY 4th, 1948
A.M. – Farewell church services.
2:00 p.m. – Unveiling of War Memorial at G.W.M. Hospital.
TRANSCIBER’S NOTE: The final page in the booklet was set aside for people to get the names and addresses of people they met during Old Home Week. The following names were entered by my grandparents (CONWAY):
FRED BURNS Syracuse
EARL MOYLE & LILLY North Bay
HARRY LACOMBE (?) Galt Note: Could be Liscombe
KEN SMITH Detroit
ANNIE MOORE (?) Wyoming
HILDA ?? London Note: Looks like Ibouri
LAURA CHAPMAN Toronto
ANNIE JAMES Calgary
ALF POWELL Ottawa
OLIVE FLEET (?) Kingston Note: Could be Flett
MAYBELL FERRIER Montreal
CRISSIE WILSON Calgary
FRED LEVER Toronto
ROY BARRIE Barrie Note: Could be Ray
MARY COURTNEY Wisconsin
BILLIE BAIRD Toronto
Page 2: F.C. CONWAY Men’s and Boy’s Clothing Gore St.
Page 4: McVeety Electric MILNE MCVEETY, Prop. Gore St.
Page 5: Mill’s China & Gift Shop Next to Theatre
Page 6: Red Indian Lunch Bar On the site of the Old Distillery
Page 7: Cleanrite Cleaners J. McHARDY, Proprietor Foster St.
Page 8: W.G. SAWDON’S Store A COMPLETE ELECTRICAL SERVICE
Page 9: PERTH BOTTLING WORKS G.L. SMALLWOOD, Prop.
Page 10: THE NEW RIDEAU FERRY INN Call 906 r 51 for reservations
Page 11: HARRY’S CAFÉ HOWARD SOONG, Prop.
Page 12: Bluebird Diamonds J.A. ROSE
Page 13: White and Finlay JAMES WHITE ARTHUR FINLAY
Page 14: Ryder Bros. Service Station GEO. C. RYDER, Prop.
Page 15: MARY MORRISON Perth Oldest Grocer
Page 16: BOB ECHLIN Insurance and Real Estate
Page 17: Eaton’s Order Office T. Eaton Co.
Page 18: CONLON’S Meat Market and Grocery
Page 19: Land O’ Lanark Creameries J.J. FINNEGAN, Prop.
Page 20: NEWMAN Studio, Perth’s Leading Photographer
Page 21: Bass Lake Club
Page 22: BARR’S Imperial Service Station
Page 23: ‘Greetings and Welcome to all Perthites attending the 1948 Old Home Week. J. QUATTROCCHI & Co.’
Page 24: J.M. MCDOUGALL Canadian Tire Corp. Assoc. Store
Page 25: Perth Theatre WM. A HAMILTON, Manager
Page 26: JAMES BROTHERS, Hardware and Sporting Goods Store
Page 27: G.H. HEADRICK & SON Hardware and Plumbing
Page 28: JACK MCGLADE Your tire and battery man in Perth
Page 29: W.L. MCKINNON & CO. Government & Municipal Bonds
Page 30: O’DONNELL BROS. Tobaccos and Confectionery SYLVESTER O’DONNELL, Prop.
Page 31: SANG LEE LAUNDRY JOSEPH JOHNSTON, Prop.
Page 32: The Bright Spot JOHN WALTON, Prop.
Page 33: Hotel Imperial ED. LAMBERT, Mgr.
Page 34: DAROU & HUGHES All lines of Insurance
Page 35: Hotel Perth H.D. DUBY, Prop.
Page 36: NORMAN B. LIGHTFORD Specialty Shop
Page 37: Revere Hotel S.R. SALISBURY, Prop.
Page 38: CHAPLIN & CODE One of Perth’s Oldest Business Houses
Page 39: BLAIR & SON Furniture Store 11 Gore St. W Phone 65
Page 40: Perth Public Utitlies Commission
Commission – DR. JOHN L. WALSH, D.D.S., Chairman
DAWSON C. KERR, Phm. B.
JOHN PENNET, Mayor
Manager & Secretary-Treasurer – R.J. SMITH
Page 41: RUBINO’s Flower Shop
Page 42: HARRISON’S Drug Store Next to Theatre
Page 43: SMALL BROS. Foster St.
Page 44: The Commodore Grill HAROLD FERGUSON and JOSEPH BEATTY Prop.
Page 45: Wilson’s Clothes Shop W.A. WILSON
Page 46: Perth Frosty Lockers and Public Cold Storage
Page 47: Thornbury’s Drug Store ARTHUR THORNBURY, Prop.
Page 48: GEORGE D. SMITH Auctioneer & Realtor
Page 49: Mutual Life of Canada & General Insurance Agent CLARENCE T. DUNCAN
Page 50: Tayside Bakery FRANK VICE, Prop.
Page 51: OAKES Bakery
Page 52: Perth Tea Rooms CHRIS. MOSKOS
Page 53: The Lanark County Farmers’ Mutual Fire Insurance Co.
W.M. STANLEY Pres.
H.K. NESBITT Vice-Pres.
A.A. BOWES Manager & Secretary
J.C. MATHER Treas.
Page 54: W.I. SMITH’S Red & White Store
Page 55: PERKINS’ Motor Sales General Motors Dealers
Page 56: Craig Motor Sales ROBT. CRAIG, Prop.
Page 57: Perth District Co-op Services
Page 58: Munroe & Ferrier Your Texaco Dealer WM. MUNROE JIM FERRIER – Propietors
Page 59: DODDS & ERWIN Groceries – Seed – Flour & Feed
Doing business in the former dining room of the old Allan House (Cecil House). This property was bought from Mrs. J.A. Stewart by the late JAMES EDGAR ERWIN who transformed the old hotel, over a period of years, into a business block.
In the midst of alterations a disastrous fire almost gutted the stone building and wiped out all frame buildings at the rear. (1924)
The firm of Dodds & Erwin was comprised originally of N.E. DODDS and J.E. ERWIN (Deceased October 8, 1946). The staff now is as follows:
KENNETH I. ERWIN (Prop)
N.E. DODDS (Retired)
ROBERT J. BEATTY, (Mill Manager),
HOWARD J. MAYHEW (Store Manager),
ETHEL MAYHEW, (Clerk).
“BUD” COTA, (Egg Grader).
Page 1: John Pennett Mayor
Page 5: John H. Mather Secretary of Perth’s Old Home Week
Norman Moore Treasurer of Perth’s Old Home Week
Page 11: PERTH LEGION HALL – THE FORMER MATHESON HOME
Page 13: REV. W.R. ALP, Minister of St. Paul’s United Church
REV. S.B. Holmes, Rector of St. James’ Anglican Church
Page 15: Rev. Mgr. M.J. MEAGHER Pastor of St. John’s R.C. Church
Rev. J.E. TRAINOR Curate of St. John’s R.C. Church
Page 17: Rev. R.B. MILROY Minister of St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
Rev. ROBERT BURGESS Pastor of Glad Tidings Tabernacle
Page 19: Rev. A. HOLMER Pastor of Perth Baptist Church
MRS. W.E. DANNER Who erected the Danner Pavilion at the G.W.M. Hospital, in memory of her husband, the late W.E. Danner
Page 21: The Great War Memorial Hospital
Air View of the Town of Perth
Page 23: The Quattrocchi Block
Page 25: WM. G. Howie Fire Chief
J.W. Gamble Ex-Fire Chief
Page 27: View of Little River at Gore Street
View of the Tay Canal from Beckwith Street
Page 29: PERTH POST OFFICE
Page 31: PERTH PUBLIC LIBRARY
Page 33: HOTEL IMPERIAL
Page 35: Perth swimming Pool
Page 37: Haggart’s Dam
Page 39: Glad Tidings Tabernacle
Blair & Son Funeral Home
Page 41: St. James’ Anglican Church
Page 43: Perth Baptist Church
St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church
Page 45: St. John’s R.C. Church
Page 47: St. Paul’s United Church
Page 49: St. John’s Separate School
Perth Public School
Page 51: View of the Stewart Park
The Perth Collegiate Institute
Page 53: Scene of the Tay Canal Bank
Page 55: Perkins’ Bowling Alleys
Perkins’ Motor Sales
Page 57: Perth’s Band Stand
This Souvenir Booklet is presented by Perth business men who helped make this publication possible through their advertisements, and was complied and published by JAMES J. LALLY, HOWARD M. THOMPSON and A.M. JOHNSTON, and was printed at the Perth Courier Office.
Photos on pages 5, 9, 11, 13, 17, 21, 23, 45, 47, 51, 53, 55, 57, by Newman’s Studio, Perth, Ontario.