Lanark County Genealogical Society’s mission is to foster the study of genealogy with emphasis on families which live or have lived in Lanark County, Ontario, Canada.
We see Lanark County Genealogical Society as an opportunity to further genealogical research, to learn and socialize, in friendly atmosphere, with people interested in genealogical research and family history.
We value the contributions of all people: The organization believes that one’s work makes a contribution, fosters opportunities to learn from one another and allows growth through shared experiences.
We value the beauty of history: The organization believes that the study of family history and historical heritage gives richer perspective on life, inspires and fascinates through its stories of peoples and times past.
We value the historian and students: The organization believes Historians are committed to protecting significant historical evidence wherever it resides and that a Student’s discovery, exchange, interpretation, and presentation of research information contributes to his or her well-being, growth, and success.
We value the pursuit of excellence: The organization believes that the practice of striving for one’s best in all facets of life unite us with one another, our members, volunteers and partners; and fuels our commitment to preserve Lanark County’s historical heritage for present and future generations
We value commitment: The organization believes that commitment to our idea that genealogy is a field worthy of pursuit. The preservation of original records, collections, artifacts and excellent customer service will attract users assuring that the Lanark County past remains active and in the present local history.
EDUCATE: Provide help and educational aid to researchers, preserve records, and disseminate information. Teach interest persons the use of reference materials and alternative research sources in preparation to publish their own genealogical materials and family lineages.
SUPPORT: the collections and services of the organization by acquiring materials and publications which are of value for the use of the public (books, periodicals, pamphlets, and genealogy collections; i.e., CD’s, booklets on family histories/genealogy).
PRESERVE: collect and preserve genealogical and related local historical data by indexing local census returns compiling and indexing local obituaries and recording local cemeteries.
PROMOTE: the study of genealogy and genealogical research and encourage you to discover of the history of your family, our Lanark County neighbourhood, or places in Ontario and across Canada
More specifically, we work to meet the Vision, Values and Goals stated above through the following:
- encourage and promote interest in genealogy among the general public
- maintain a genealogical reference library which provides genealogists a centre for reference books and other published material pertaining to Lanark County families;
- share techniques for research
- encourage compilation and publication of lineage charts, family group sheets and family histories
- lend assistance to those who are trying to collect or preserve local historical memorabilia
- collect and preserve genealogical and related local historical data by indexing local census returns, compiling and indexing local obituaries and recording local cemeteries
- publish material related especially to Lanark County families and biographical local history; and
- support Archives Lanark in its role as a repository for documentary materials pertaining to the cultural, genealogical and historical heritage of Lanark County.
~~President and Board of Directors, Lanark County Genealogical Society~~