Many of the museums listed are open only during the summer. To avoid disappointment, please visit their website or call them before you plan your visit.

NORTH LANARK REGIONAL MUSEUM

The North Lanark Regional Museum is owned and operated by the North Lanark Historical Society with the goal of collecting, preserving, and displaying the history of Mississippi Mills. The museum features several exhibit spaces including seasonal exhibits, permanent local history exhibits, and a pioneer log cabin. The museum is the perfect destination for families with young children, retirees and history buffs in general. The museum collection focuses on local history and includes: artifacts, photographs, documents and books. Our research library contains local history books, family histories, and original copies of the Almonte Gazette. For Museum Hours please call or visit our website!

North Lanark Regional Museum, 647 River Road, Appleton, Ontario. Mailing Address: Box 218, Almonte, Ontario. Phone 613 257-8503.

MILL OF KINTAIL MUSEUM

Opened as a grist mill in 1830, the museum building was restored 100 years later as a summer home and studio by Robert Tait McKenzie. The museum features over 70 of his sculptures and his household furnishings. The museum is situated beside the Indian River, surrounded by the trails and picnic areas of the Mill of Kintail Conservation Area. Located 8 km north of Almonte, off Hwy. 15.

Mill of Kintail Conservation Area, RR #1, Almonte, ON, Canada. K0A 1A0. Phone: (613) 256-3610.

MISSISSIPPI VALLEY TEXTILE MUSEUM

Located on the banks of the Mississippi River, this museum is in the former Rosamond Textile Mill. The museum features the 19th century beginning of Canada’s woollen manufacturing industry, period offices and exhibits highlighting the woollen industry to modern times. Unique gifts are available in the attractive gift shop.

Mississippi Valley Textile Museum, 3 Rosamond St. East, Almonte, Ontario. K0A 1A0. Phone: (613) 256-3754.

CARLETON PLACE & BECKWITH HERITAGE MUSEUM

A two-storey heritage designated stone building erected as the original Carleton Place Town Hall in 1872 and later converted into a schoolhouse; enhanced by authentic Victorian gardens. Yearly exhibits draw from a collection of 10,000 artifacts reflecting local history and education.

Carleton Place & Beckwith Heritage Museum: 267 Edmond St., Carleton Place, Ontario K7C 3E8. Phone: (613) 253-7013.

THE PERTH MUSEUM/MATHESON HOUSE

Matheson House is a nationally designated stone house ca. 1840. Four Victorian period rooms and enclosed garden give an intimate glimpse of the lifestyle of a well to do family. Changing exhibitions in two galleries plus permanent exhibitions, for example: Last Duel pistols and sample Mammoth Cheese. Located in downtown Perth with parking at rear. Air conditioned. Check the Perth Museum website for the latest schedule of events and displays. Open year-round, Monday to Saturday 10am to 5pm. Open Sundays after the May 24 holiday weekend from 1-4 pm through the summer.

The Perth Museum, Matheson House, 11 Gore St. East, Perth, Ontario K7H 1H4 Phone: (613) 267-1947.

LANARK & DISTRICT MUSEUM

Houses a collection of tools, clothing and artifacts collected from the Lanark area pioneer homes as well as a collection of Canadiana books. Located on Hwy. 511 on Lanark’s main street.

Lanark & District Museum, 80 George St., Lanark, Ontario K0G 1K0. Phone: (613) 259-5350.

MIDDLEVILLE AND DISTRICT MUSEUM

Located in an 1860s stone schoolhouse in the village of Middleville, Ontario. The museum building was expanded in the 1970s and then again in 2013 to help accommodate its growing collection which includes a pioneer cabin, pioneer tools, horse-drawn hearse, and a classroom. The Museum is home to an extensive collection of local artifacts, archival, and genealogical records. Step into the past and explore pioneer history. The building is wheelchair accessible.

Middleville and District Museum, 2130 Concession 6D, Middleville ON K0G 1K0. Contact: 613-259-5462 or middlevillemuseum@gmail.com.

RAILWAY MUSEUM OF EASTERN ONTARIO

Located in the former Canadian Northern railway station built in 1914. A large elegant brick and stone structure with high ceilings and impressive plaster and wood trim. The station, heritage artifacts and rolling stock are still undergoing restoration. A national historic site, the museum features railway artifacts, archival materials, memorabilia, a library and rolling stock equipment.

Railway Museum of Eastern Ontario, 90 William St. W., Box 962, Smiths Falls, Ontario K7A 5A5. Phone (613) 283-5696.

RIDEAU CANAL MUSEUM

Offering five floors of a unique blend of historic displays, artifacts and modern technology. Along with images tracing the building and evolution of this historic waterway the museum supplies informative mini-theaters, user friendly computers, a 15 minute narrated slide presentation; and the latest addition, a seven diorama Tunnel of History.

Rideau Canal Museum, 34 Beckwith St. South, Smiths Falls, Ontario K7A 2A8. Phone: (613) 284-0505.

HERITAGE HOUSE MUSEUM

This elegant classically styled house is restored to ca. 1867 and features: 7 Victorian rooms, a two-storey privy, an indoor bake oven, “mirror image” facades, an exhibition gallery, heritage gardens, a picnic area, and a gift shop.

Heritage House Museum, Old Slys Road, Smiths Falls, Ontario K7A 4T6 (adjacent to Old Slys Lockstation, Rideau Canal). Phone: (613) 283-8560.

NAISMITH BASKETBALL FOUNDATION

A non-profit, incorporated charitable organization, the Naismith Foundation was established in 1989 to erect and operate a suitable memorial to honour the founder of basketball at his birthplace Almonte, Ontario.

Naismith Basketball Foundation, c/o 2729 Draper Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario K2H 7A1 Phone: (613) 256-0492, info@naismithbasketballfoundation.com
Naismith Museum, Mill of Kintail, Concession Road 8, Mississippi Mills, ON K0A 1A0. Phone (613) 256-3610 ext. 2, museum@naismithbasketballfoundation.com

ARCHIVES LANARK

Archives Lanark is an independent non-profit organization that relies on volunteers, users of the facility, and the County of Lanark.

Volunteers at Archives Lanark may conduct research for people who are unable to get to Archives Lanark. This research is limited to material that is in Archives Lanark. Fees are payable to Archives Lanark. Requests for research sent to Lanark County Genealogical Society will be handled by Society members and may be forwarded to Archives Lanark as needed.

For full details, including contact information, and for opening hours, please visit the Archives Lanark website: http://archiveslanark.ca. The Archives is located in the former Drummond Township Municipal Building at 1920 Concession 7 Rd. at Drummond Centre.

ARNPRIOR AND DISTRICT MUSEUM

Arnprior and area is rich in history from the fur trading days when Indians had encampments here during the Champlain era, through the colourful lore of the McNab era when, in 1825, the rugged and courageous Scottish Laird, Archibald McNab, brought eighty settlers to the area from Scotland; Arnprior and District’s greatest claim to historical fame was the lumbering era operated by the McLachlin and Gillies families. The Museum has recorded these eras with documents, artifacts, lumbering tools, fashion, home furnishings, maps and books.

Arnprior and District Museum, 35 Madawaska Street, Arnprior, Ontario, Canada. K7S 1R6 Phone: (613) 623-4902.

MERRICKVILLE BLOCKHOUSE MUSEUM

Originally planned as part of its defense system, this is the largest blockhouse on the Rideau Canal. Now a museum containing artifacts of the blockhouse and social environment of a rural community in the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Merrickville Blockhouse Museum, Merrickville and District Historical Society, PO Box 294, Merrickville, Ontario K0G 1N0. Email: info@merrickvillehistory.org

GOULBOURN MUSEUM AND HISTORY CENTRE

Goulbourn was first settled in 1818 by members of the 100th Regiment of Foot, a British regular army unit which had fought in the War of 1812-1814. Museum exhibits chronicle Goulbourn’spioneer and military heritage. Historical descriptions of the various local communities and photographs are displayed throughout the Museum. A History Centre offers research facilities for genealogy and local history enthusiasts. The Museum is open year-round Tuesday through Friday and Sunday from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m.

Goulbourn Museum and History Centre, Stanley Corners, just south of Stittsville 2064 Huntley Road (intersection of Huntley and Flewellyn Rds.) Phone 613 831-2393, goulbmus@rogers.com.

Renfrew County Museums Network (RCMN)

The Renfrew County Museums Network (RCMN) was formed in 2002 so that all of the county museums in operation at that time could both share technical information and collectively promote their facilities. Representatives have met regularly since then at our various member museums. Currently (November 2018) our membership stands at twenty-one mostly seasonal museums plus nine Heritage Tourism partners (including three archives), with the potential for further expansion.

At the museums and partners sites throughout Renfrew County we celebrate the many stories that have shaped our history. To read some Ottawa Valley stories, visit ottawavalleyculture.ca.

You also might like to check the OMA Directory of Ontario Museums which has all Ontario museums listed alphabetically by name, region and type.