NAMES OF PERSONS BELIEVED TO BE BURIED IN THE INDIAN HILL CEMETERY IN PAKENHAM IN GRAVES THE LOCATION OF WHICH IS NOT KNOWN
A special thank-you to Sister Rita and her special committee (from St. Peter’s Celestine Roman Catholic Church of Pakenham) for permission to print their work.
NAMES OF DECEASED DATE OF BURIAL ABBOTT, Walter 1895 BOX, Mrs. Samuel (Sarah CLOSS) 1940 BRENNAN, Michael (husband of Eliza MALTIN) 1866 BOLTON, Mary Anne (infant dau of Benjamin BOLTON & Bridget RYAN) 1885 BODDY, Margaret (dau of William BODDY & Johanna BUTLER) 1889 BODDY, Mrs. William (Hanna BUTLER) 1903 BODDY, Hannah Mary (dau of William BODDY) 1913 BELANGER, Elizabeth (Mrs. Joseph E. GAREAU) 1890 BOLOCKOFSKI, Anne (Mrs. Joseph ZIEBARTH) 1913 CARNEY, (dau of Peter CARNEY & Sarah MCGUIRE) 1880 CONLEY, James (age 70) 1889 CONNETTE, Jas. Albert (son of Robert CONNETTE & Elizabeth Anne O'NEILL) 1892 CLOSE, James (age 62) 1898 COVA, Margaret (dau of Gregory COVA & Anne REBUS) 1914 CALLAGHAN, Catherine (Mrs. Dan J. MARTIN) 1933 CRONAN, Ellen (Mrs. Jerry SULLIVAN) 1897 CLAROUX, William 1901 DORAN, Mary Anne 1887 DOLAN, Elizabeth (Mrs. Bernard Donaher) 1920 DONAHER, Bernard 1897 DUGAS, Andrew (age 80) 1898 DESCHENES, Rochelle (age 8 months) 1950 DRISCOLL, Hannah (Mrs. John DILLON) 1878 DUSTERHOFF, Rosalie (Mrs. August ZIEBARTH) 1899 FAULKNER, James 1877 FAULKNER, Mrs. James 1895 FOLEY, Julie Anne*(dau of John FOLEY & J. O'BRIEN) 1880 FOLEY, George Richard* (son of John FOLEY & J. O'BRIEN) 1881 FOLEY, Michael Eugene* (son of John FOLEY & J. O'BRIEN) 1881 FLYNN, John (age 38) 1877 FINLE, Anastasia (Mrs. James FERGUSON) 1887 FARRELL, Sarah (Mrs. Joseph H. GENDREAU) 1894 FITZGERALD, James (age 79) 1915 FERGUSON, Mary (Mrs. Palmer TRAVERS) 1915 FARRELL, Mary (Mrs. Michael J. TIMS) 1923 FARRY, Alice (Mrs. James LEVI) 1873 GORMAN, Mary (Mrs. John FLEMING) 1874 GAUDIN, John (age 77) 1876 GARVY, Patrick (son of John GARVY & Mary O'MALLEY) 1877 GALVIN, James 1914 GALVIN, John Matthew (husband of Rita HOUGH) 1915 GENDREAU, Samuel 1885 GALLIGHAM, Denis 1888 HODGSON, Harry 1933 HORAN, Mary (Mrs. John CLOSE) 1894 JEFFREY, Wilfred 1929 KELLY, Anne (Mrs. Denis GALLIGHAN) 1866 KARNEY, John 1866 KEAGAN, Ellen (dau of Bernard KEAGAN & Mary MORRIS) 1881 KEAGAN, Bernard (age 73) 1883 KEARNS, Peter (husband of Ellen PRICE) 1920 KELLY, Michael (age 3 years ) 1866 LUNNEY, Patrick (age 60) 1880 LEE, Alice (Mrs. John SHEEDY) 1939 LYONS, Catherine (Mrs. Charles PRICE) 1906 LEVY, James 1877 MOCLAR, Mary (Mrs. Robert DUNLOP) 1865 MARTIN, Frances (Mrs. James FITZGERALD) 1914 MULVANEY, Margaret 1865 MERRIMAN, Michael 1888 MURPHY, John Edward (age 65)* 1894 MURPHY, Catherine* 1913 MALEY, Patrick 1895 MALEY, James 1904 MARTIN, Daniel (age 65) 1912 MURRAY, Bridget 1918 MARLHA, Jennie (Mrs. William CARABINE) 1951 MCCOY, Neil (age 93) 1901 MCHALE, Patrick (age 84) 1915 MCARAN, Patrick 1873 MCDONOUGH, Bridget (Mrs. James FERGUSON) 1921 NOSIG, Simeon 1911 NORTON, Michael 1865 O'MALLEY, John (age 82) 1892 POWER, Margaret 1883 PRICE, Charles (age 84) 1902 QUIGLEY, Bridget (Mrs. Jeremiah FOLEY) 1895 REGAN, Patrick (son of Patrick REGAN & Frances DUFFALAY) 1866 REGAN, Mrs. Patrick (Frances DUFFALAY) 1905 ROACH, Mary Anne 1894 RYAN, Mary (Mrs. Egbert FREUDENBURG) 1894 ROBINSON, Jane Elizabeth (Mrs. John STAFFORD) 1914 SHEAHEN, James (age 57)* 1896 SHEEDY, Elizabeth Anne 1919 SHERLOCK, Michael 1924 SHERLOCK, John 1924 SHAERON, Matthew 1918 SHEARON, John 1935 TEEVENS, Mary (Mrs. John SHERLOCK) 1913 TASSE, Felix 1894 VAILLANT, Joseph John 1885 VILLENEUVE, Andrew (Susan HOGAN) 1914 WHALEN, Catherine (age 76) 1891 WALTON, Margaret (Mrs. Bernard CAMERON) 1896 WALSH, Bridget (Mrs. John O'MALLEY) 1896 ZIEBARTH, Joseph (husband of Anne BOLOCKOFSKI) 1943 ZIEBARTH, Auguste (husband of Rosalie DUSTERHOFF) 1896 ZIEBARTH, Mary Adeline 1900
1. “Foley, Julie Anne (dau. Of John Foley & J. O’Brien)”.
This young lady was Julia Ann Foley – the most common spelling used in reference to her in her time. She was indeed the daughter of John Foley and Johanna O’Brien, as stated, but she is buried in the cemetery of St. Patrick’s church at Ferguson Falls, along with her parents and several siblings, and like them has a polished blue granite stone erected by her wealthy brothers in St. Paul, Minn. (“Julia Ann 1858-1880″) The priest at Holy Name of Mary in Almonte stated in the church record that on 4 September, 1880, he “….interred in the Catholic Cemetery at Ferguson’s Falls the body of Julia Ann Foley….”
2. “Foley, George Richard” and “Foley, Michael Eugene…son(s) of John Foley and J. O’Brien”. These are a bit more complicated. They may well be buried at Indian Hill, and I couldn’t question that with assurance. But they are the twin infant sons of George Richard Foley, Sr. of Lanark and Pakenham townships and Octavie Joassin of Coteau, P.Q. (Father Lavin of St. Peter’s Celestine in Pakenham, who wrote both burial records but without specifying the place of interment, was not exactly the best of spellers in either official language, and called the mother “Octave Joachim”. Little M. E. Foley died 26 July, 1881, aged “about four months”; while his brother G.R. (Jr.) Passed away 26 August aged “about five months” (Register #2 of St. Peter’s Celestine, pages 205 and 206). Put simply, these are grandchildren of John and Johanna (O’Brien)Foley, not children thereof.
3. “Murphy, John Edward (age 65)”. The evidence suggests strongly that he’s buried in the Catholic cemetery just north of Clayton (often called “Rath’s”). The Almonte Gazette of Friday, 21 Sept., 1894 stated in the column “Pakenham News” that on “…Wednesday, the remains of John Murphy…were taken to Clayton for interment”. So how do we know that this John Murphy is John Edward Murphy? (Good point, Julie!). Again, Father Lavin at St. Peter’s in Pakenham stated in Register 4, burial entry s/98, that on the 19th of September 1894 (i.e., Wednesday) he “…interred the body of John Edward Murphy deceased in this parish the seventeenth instant aged 65 years.” Incidentally, his father John Murphy, who has a very fine tombstone, is also at Rath’s, and it appears his mother (Mary Foley) is also.
4. “Catherine Murphy 1913″. Now there was what seems like a fine lady… one of my favourites; the kind that people spoke well of years before the inevitably flowery obituary, and that’s a good indication of a quality person. In fact, her occupation is listed on her death certificate as “Lady”. But I digress: she’s buried, without a surviving stone, in the “Carleton Road Cemetery, aka “New St. Mary’s”, aka “the ninth line cemetery”. Her detailed obituary, again in the “Pakenham News” column of the Almonte Gazette ( Friday, Nov. 21, 1913), notes that the funeral procession for her “passed through here on Tuesday from Arnprior on the way to Almonte, where the remains were interred in the ninth line cemetery” (she actually died at her niece’s home on Lot 18, Concession 2 of Fitzroy, aged 76).
5. “Sheahen, James (age 57)”. This is James Sheehan (sic), husband of Catherine Foley and brother-in-law of Julia Ann Foley (above) and George Richard Foley, Sr. He’s easy to find – he has a stone of fine quality at St. Patrick’s in Ferguson Falls – I have photos of it. He was a favourite of the extended Foley family, and his widow died at a great age – about 96, in St. Cloud, Minnesota, the last surviving offspring of John Foley and Johanna O’Brien of the Hall’s Mills area.
24 September, 2001