Transcribed from The Lanark Era, Wednesday, April 22nd, 1908, and submitted to the LCGS website by Robert T. Bond.
The photographs herewith reproduced are of Mr. and Mrs. George Bond of this village, whose fiftieth anniversary of their wedding day was joyously celebrated at the Clyde Hotel, on Wednesday, 15th inst. Golden weddings are comparatively rare events, as but few individuals are blessed to reach half a century of matrimonial felicity, and the cases are extremely few where the principals enjoy the same well preserved condition of mind and body as this happy couple. They both seem to have discovered long ago “the elixir of life” which has charged every fibre of their being with health and happiness. The twenty-eight guests who sat down at the hospitable wedding table, beheld a radiant beaming pair at the head, surrounded by relatives and friends, like a great happy family. Close beside them at the crown of the table, which was arranged in the form of the letter T, sat Hon. Mr. and Mrs. Templeman, Mrs. James Robertson, Mrs. Findlay McIntyre, Miss Griffith (Ottawa), Mrs. James McFarlane, Mrs. R. R. Drysdale, Mr. and Mrs. James Dobbie and Mrs. Joseph Bond. At the base sat Mr. David McLaren and on both sides of the pillar, Mr. and Mrs. John Wilson, Perth, Mr. and Mrs. Thos. Monroe, Mr. and Mrs. Forrest, Mrs. W. C. Caldwell, Mrs. H. Wilson, Rev. and Mrs. D. C. McIntosh, Mr. & Mrs. Wm. Dorway, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Field, Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Forbes and Mr. and Mrs. J. C. Cooper.
A six-thirty o’clock dinner of many [illegible] courses opened up brightly illu- [illegible] reminiscences of the good old days, humorous stories and incidents in which Mr. Bond billed the principal roll, these with quip and joke combined brightly to fill the passing hour. And after the dinner had come to an end by the graceful distribution from the hands of the fifty-year bride of a rich wedding cake, on which the guests were to dream pleasant dreams, a toast to Mr. & Mrs. Bond was offered. This called for eulogistic responses from all the gentlemen present. In a neat little speech Mr. Bond expressed the pleasure he felt; it was the happiest night of his life, and in his own laughing way he spoke of the golden days that had passed. Pressed on for a song, Mr. Bond rendered an old favorite “Grimes Cellar Door,” which was loudly applauded. The hearty singing of “Auld Lang Syne” in true Scottish style brought this part of the wedding to a close. The spacious dining room of the Clyde had been beautifully decorated, the ceiling hanging with billows of bunting and flags, and the table set with that beauty for which the Clyde is distinguished.
At nine-thirty the arrival of about a hundred guests caused quite a bustle, during which the dining room was transformed from a banquet hall into a conservatory of games. Cards were enjoyed until eleven o’clock, when refreshments were served. The unexpected arrival of the Perth Citizens’ Band occasioned quite a ripple of fun. No one knew they were coming until the serenade had thrust its first silvery notes on the willing ears of those inside. A short time after, and before the end of the melody had been reached, Mr. and Mrs. Bond appeared on the door step and waved a welcome of serenades and invited them all inside, where the musicians were served refreshments. Dancing soon became the order of the evening, for which Messrs. Allie Daron and Howe Watt furnished the music. At intervals there was singing, Mr. Murray of Perth kindly rendering “Love Me and the World is Mine,” and Mr. O.M. Forbes singing the charms of sweet “Cordalia Malone.” A number of the bandsmen also contributed two very fine numbers to the evening’s entertainment. Their willingness to assist was greatly appreciated. There were cotillions, waltzes, schottisches, also jigs and special dances, every guest seeming to take special delight in helping on with the good time. The guests were scattered all over the house, upstairs and downstairs, all enjoying themselves.
George Bond and Catherine Perritt were married at Carleton Place, April 15th, 1858 by the late Rev. Mr. Holdcroft. The groomsman was Mr. J. Griffith and the bridesmaid Miss Mary McCallum, sister of Mrs. H. Wilson of this village. The bridesmaid of that long ago happy event is still living; she is now Mrs. Wm. Moore of Brockville. The happy couple went to reside in Perth, where they remained three years, proceeding to Almonte, Mr. Bond taking a position with the Rosamond Woolen Co. which he filled for fifteen years. All the family were born in Almonte, except the youngest (George), who first saw the light of day in Pakenham, to which place they moved from Almonte, Mr. Bond to take charge of a woolen mill for Hilliard, Dickson and Lorimer. In July, 1870, the family came to Lanark, which has been their home ever since, with the exception of a few years spent in Connecticut, U.S. The family are: Mrs. James Dobbie and Mrs. R. R. Drysdale, Lanark; Wm. H., at Aitken, Minn.; George in Spokane, Wash.; Joseph, deceased.
The martial spirit at one time fired Mr. Bond and he became sergeant of No. 1 Co. of the 42nd Battalion, Almonte. At time of Fenian raids in 1866 and 1870 he served at Brockville and Prescott for which he wears a veteran’s medal.
The presents were beautiful in kind and numerous. They were all appropriate to the occasion and included many exquisite pieces of bric-a-brac. A large number of guests attended from Perth, including Mr. and Mrs. W. J. Flett and Miss Flett, Mr. and Mrs. Drennan, the Misses Drennan, Mr. and Mrs. John Wilson, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Stone, Mr. Charles Foote. The event will long be remembered by those who had the good fortune to be there. May the principals live to enjoy a diamond jubilee and many years beyond.