Submitted by Marilyn Snedden
Originally published in the Almonte Gazette, 11 March, 1898.
From the LCGS Newsletter, September & October, 1999.
Almonte Gazette Readers interested in reading sketches of settlers in Dakota who once lived in Lanark & Renfrew counties. Sketches appeared in the Grand Forks Plaindealer.
[Editor’s Note: Manvel, North Dakota, mentioned in this item, is about 15 km north of the City of Grand Forks in Grand Forks Co.]
Lawrence Hickey is a farmer living three miles from Manvel on 500 acres. His residence and buildings are located in a nice grove of the Maraisin section 13, town 133, range 51. He came from Pakenham, Ont in 1879 and he owns 6 Percheron horses and 9 other good draft horses, 23 cattle and one of the best bred flocks of sheep I have ever seen anywhere. He is thoroughly equipped financially and is still improving his farm.
M. J. Hickey is a farmer living on 700 acres who came from Pakenham in 1879. He is president of the school board and the town board. He built a $1000.00 house, had 11 boys becoming men, consequently he can farm cheaper than most farmers and he is an old subscriber of the P.D.
The farm of Harvey Bros. includes Jim, Robert and Ed, living four and one half miles east of Marvel. They came from Arnprior in 1877 with their father who was a founder of Harvey Township. He died about 12 years ago, leaving his family in comfortable circumstances and all settles in the same district within a radius of 6 miles. Those that are married and are parents themselves are John, the eldest, William, Peter, Mat, Mrs. William Knaus, Manvel, Mrs. John McDonald, Stoughton and Mrs. Ed O’Brien, Grand Forks. The younger boys live in the homestead with their mother. They farm about 1300 aces of land. They raise beef cattle at a considerable profit on account of their pasture facilities. Hog raising is also a profitable industry but their chief pursuit is grain raising. They own some of the finest horses in the country and are competent and intelligent horsemen themselves. They boys at home are industrious and ambitious and no matter what pleasure or pastime is in the country, it never detains them from going home and attending to the farming business, evidently the cause of their present financial circumstances.
William Harvey, a farmer living in town and owning 212 acres on the bank of the Marais, came here with his father in 1877 from Arnprior and owns a $900 barn with all modern inventions to feed stock. His residence is beautifully situated in a natural grove. He raises cattle, horses, hogs and grain. He is one of the pioneers of Harvey Township and a member of the school board and a township officer.
Matt Harvey is one of the country’s enterprising farmers, living 7 miles from Manvel on 350 acres of land. He came here with his parents from Arnprior in 1877 and recently married one of Manvel’s young ladies, beginning housekeeping in a 41400 house near the timber on the Red River. He raises cattle, horses, hogs and grain and some fine sheep, having imported the last from Australia 3 months ago at a cost of $10 apiece and in conclusion he is thoroughly provided with a good share of this world’s wealth.
Thomas Levi is a farmer living one and a half miles from Manvel on a quarter section and he also owns a farm in Walsh County. He came from Arnprior in 1880 and by economy and industry has acquired considerable property. He is a genuine scientific horseman, consequently on his place will be seen some elegant specimens of the horse, among them a pair of good roadsters. He is his own cook and foreman at present, but current reports disclose that he will soon abandon his culinary pursuits in favour of a more worthy aspirant and the Plaindealer wishes him success in his new enterprise.
William Brennan is a farmer residing on Section 36, 154 range 51. He came here from Almonte, Ont in 1868 and raises cattle, horses, hogs, and grain, and also owns one fine driving horse.
James Barry, a farmer living 6 miles from Manville, ND, owns 480 acres of land in Lavant Tp and 160 in Lakeville. He came here from Almonte, Ont in 1879 and owns 20 horses, 25 cattle, 35 hogs and is the parent of 5 boys and 1 girl, is a member of the school board and a manager of the Woodmen camp in Manvel. He was road supervisor in 1897 for his district.
Stephen Barrigan is a farmer living 10 miles from Marvel on 480 acres in section 31, township 154, range 52. He came here from Pembroke, Ont in 1879 and raises cattle, hogs and grain, and owns 31 thoroughbred Percheron horses.
Rolly Middleton is a farmer living 8 miles from Manvel on section 7, range 51. He came here from Lanark, Ont in 1890, owns 160 acres of land and is an ardent supporter of democratic principle. He is also an excellent violinist, a profession he practices considerably.
Gus Levi is a farmer living in Manvel who came here from Almonte, Ont in 1887. He has not entered the matrimonial relation yet but was supervisor for the Manvel road district in 1897 and is the principal horse trainer in North Dakota.
Albert Lindsay is a resident of Turtle River, the metropolis of Grand Forks County. He is postmaster and ex-township clerk. Mr. Lindsay came here from Pakenham, Ont in 1881. He owns 4 lots in town, an excellent threshing outfit and is a competent man with the rig. His residence is beautifully surrounded by ties. He raises cattle, hogs, grain, and potatoes. He is a lover of sport and a superior marksman when it comes to using ammunition.
William Howard, a farmer living 5 miles from town, owns 500 acres of land and excellent machinery. He came here from Pakenham in 1879 and raises cattle, hogs, and grain, and is a member of the town board.
John McGuire, Jr., is a farmer living 3 miles east of Manvel in Harvey Township, who came here from Pakenham, Ont in 1882 and bought the place he now lives on. He raises cattle, hogs, horses, and sheep of different varieties.
William Nagle is a farmer living 2 ½ miles east of Manvel on Section 12, Township 153, Range 51, where he owns 160 acres. He came from Almonte, Ont in 1878 and bought the farm he now lives on. He owns another farm near Manvel. He recently built a barn 34 x 44, where you will find an abundance of cattle, horses and hogs. He has a beautiful residence in a grove and owns the best horses in the neighbourhood.
George Stream, Sr., is a farmer on Section 27, who came here from Lanark County, Ont in 1880. He owns a beautiful brick residence and a fine barn and outbuildings on the banks of the Turtle River, is a treasurer of the township and an old California miner. He has retired from manual labour and rented his farm to his son Lawrence, who is away on a visit to Canada.
William Donahue is a farmer living 5 miles from town. His buildings command a fine view on the banks of the Red River. He came here from Almonte, Ont in 1877 and owns a quarter section.
Pat Lindsay is a farmer living 4 miles from Manvel, came here from Pakenham in 1879 — raises cattle, hogs, horses, and grain, and was one of the pioneers of the country.
Mrs. Sarah Hutton owns 480 acres of land 5 miles from Manvel. She came from Pakenham in 1877. Building in a natural grove on the banks of the Turtle River — farm has abundant pasture — much benefit from sale of cattle — raises horses, hogs, and grain and deals in thoroughbred Jerseys, adding much profit to her business sale of butter [sic].
John Donohue is a farmer who is living 5 miles from Manvel on Section 31, Township 154, Range 51, where he owns a quarter section. He came here from Carleton Place, Ont in 1879 and bought the farmland he now lives on, with buildings on the banks of the Red River in a natural grove of large timber. He raises cattle, hogs, horses, and grain, and markets his wheat in Manvel elevators.
Edward Sullivan, farmer living 2 miles from town on three quarters of excellent land came here from Lanark, Ont in 1889. He is well provided with stables and a beautiful residence, the latter costing $1,000. He raises cattle, horses, and hogs, owns 2 thoroughbred Shorthorn cattle, and contemplates increasing the stock.